Sunscreen

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
I’ve been diagnosed with a skin condition on my face which means I’ll need to be rather more diligent using a sunscreen when cycling in bright / hot days (aka actually using some)

Any recommendation for something that won’t feel unpleasant when applied and more importantly that will stay put won’t sting my eyes when I perspire?

Cheers

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Not good news for an outdoorsy person. Sorry to hear this. My oldest daughter is fair and doesn’t do well with many sunscreens and for me, they are often prohibitively expensive. So in 16 years we have found that covering up is the best and most effective option.

For cycling I would highly recommend a visor. Just like these likeable cyclists:

View: https://youtu.be/kQ1QcBr5Dmw

alicat

Legendary Member
Blimey, you don't have much luck on the health front.

Sorry I can't help on the suncream front. I tend to use P20 bought from Wilko (not sure if they have branches down your way). I couldn't really say if it runs into my eyes. I tend not to go fast enough to perspire much!

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Not good news for an outdoorsy person. Sorry to hear this. My oldest daughter is fair and doesn’t do well with many sunscreens and for me, they are often prohibitively expensive. So in 16 years we have found that covering up is the best and most effective option.

For cycling I would highly recommend a visor. Just like these likeable cyclists:

View: https://youtu.be/kQ1QcBr5Dmw

Lol. I wear a helmet and have lots of hair, don't really need anything else on my head when it's hot and sweaty

Not good news. I would recommend something without nasty chemicals in them e.g. parabens, pthalates etc. so as to not irritate your skin any further. Sadly, these formulations are likely to be expensive. One I like is Ahava. Good luck with your search. (And let us know what you find that works).

Good to remember to use it on days like today too, not just summer months, they can be just as damaging.

[edit:typo]

Last edited:
I've used Bananaboat sport on my face before and out of the stuff I've used its definitely the best http://www.bananaboat.com/products/sports

Tin Pot

Guru
Cover up. I sweat off any sun protection rapidly, so I’m a long sleeves, hat and sunglasses kinda guy on sunny days.

Check the sun protection of the clothing too - I’ve been burned through shirts/tshirts in the past.

And I don’t have a skin condition, I’ve just had enough of sunburn for a lifetime.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Me and family have had excellent results with P20, really amazing, but even this wears off after a long sweaty day in the saddle so could probably do with a top-up early afternoon during a rest stop when you have chance to cool down and allow another coat to soak in/ dry on.
One generous application before breakfast, allowed a good half hour to soak in before riding begins, gives me full day protection on the hottest of days so I end the ride with just mild blushing of the cheeks and forearms. A second application after lunch would surely cover me for the full day?

Andrew_P

In between here and there
P20 is worth a try Vickster. One application lasts a full day (10 hours). It’s not greasy and sinks into the skin quickly.
Although I’ve never used it both my daughters are fair skinned and it works a treat.

Edit- link is for the spray, the lotion would be better for application to your face.

https://www.fragrancedirect.co.uk/r...MIn8HH_MG62QIVar7tCh0EcgGQEAQYAyABEgIMwPD_BwE
I think they changed since I used in in 2012 me the kids and the wife couldn't get off the beach fast enough, I couldn't drive as I couldn't see all of our eye were watering and burning swelling lips had to go to a chemist and get antihistamines!

Quite few people had the same too looked online when we got back, its not cheap either

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Me and family have had excellent results with P20, really amazing, but even this wears off after a long sweaty day in the saddle so could probably do with a top-up early afternoon during a rest stop when you have chance to cool down and allow another coat to soak in/ dry on.
One generous application before breakfast, allowed a good half hour to soak in before riding begins, gives me full day protection on the hottest of days so I end the ride with just mild blushing of the cheeks and forearms. A second application after lunch would surely cover me for the full day?
Generous application being key. Most people under-apply.

Top Bottom