Suntour XCR MG forks, any good?.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

keithmac

Guru
Hello, I'm looking at a second hand bike for my son.

It has Suntour XCR Magnesium forks on it. Are these any good.

I'd love to buy him a top spec bike but we've not had the best year money wise!.

Cheers all.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191119-090119_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20191119-090119_eBay.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 50

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Unfortunately they are not good, they are a budget fork with no adjustment. Having said that it depends what your son is using the bike for, if he is riding farm tracks, knocking about the streets with his friends then they will be ok. Any serious off-roading, down hilling etc then I would avoid.

Drago

Legendary Member
Theyre dreadful, all the suspension performance of a Victoria sponge. They're quite weighty too.

That said, they are fairly stiff so don't twist and bend like some cheap stuff.

If he's not too heavy they should be bearable, but that's about the kindest thing I can say about them.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
To counter this, they are OK. They aren't an air shock. It's a standard sprung fork. My son has these on his Carrera Vengeance and they have been reliable and work OK. Just double check them, and pull them up to check for corrosion below the seals. Check they are still 'plush'. I use silicone lube on the stansions and seals.

My son managed fine on Gwydir Forest (old Marin) with them.

If the price is right for the bike, then go for it. Just check the forks move smoothly.

Levo-Lon

Guru
As above really.
My first mtb Orange bike had xc 28 rockshox fork, heavy with a coil.
I thought they were brilliant as i didn't know any better.

I upgraded to a set of rock shox Reba forks a yr later, kilo lighter and quite frankly a revelation.. Which are also brilliant forks.

Buy the bike a keep an eye out for an upgrade.
I got a set of manitou air forks off crc for 129 quid, superb fork but old stock.

D

Deleted member 26715

I thought they were brilliant as i didn't know any better.
If it's a choice of no bike or bike with poor forks it has to be bike with poor forks, he will not know any better, I think you are overthinking it.

OP
OP
keithmac

keithmac

Guru
He wants disk brakes and a light frame really, his current bike is at end of life without major £££ and can't take calipers.

His current forks aren't the best so these have to be a bit better?.

Don't mind stripping cleaning and greasing them (I have some Silkolene grease already).

He goes to the local "Jump Track" so ideally a good full suspension bike would be on the cards eventually.

We're doing Dalby Forrest as well but I think I'll rent a decent pair of MTBs for that as I'll need one as well.

OP
OP
keithmac

keithmac

Guru
Well I've bit the bullet and "won" it for £120!. Looks a really well kept bike and has decent gears and hydraulic disk brakes (which is what he really wanted!).

Worst case I can treat him to a decent set of forks, they do seem to have some form of adjustment on the top (some had hydraulic rebound apparently?). We will see.

His current bike is well past it and getting too small, I've already said we can't get him a better one at the moment so hopefully he'll be chuffed with it!.

Screenshot_20191119-182251_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20191119-182309_eBay.jpg

Last edited:

Levo-Lon

Guru
Sort the stem and bars and it will be fine, forks look like long travel?
So you may be able to lower the front and sharpen the handling?

OP
OP
keithmac

keithmac

Guru
Sort the stem and bars and it will be fine, forks look like long travel?
So you may be able to lower the front and sharpen the handling?

He's got a fancy stem and fat bars on his current bike that we bought earlier in the year so between the two we can get a decent setup hopefully.

His current bike has the seat dropped to the bottom, been out on the local jumps..

He watches too much YouTube imho but at least it's about bikes so not all bad..

OP
OP
keithmac

keithmac

Guru
Well got in from work tonight and went on a 50 mile mini road trip with the boy!, he thought he was giving me a lift with some kitchen units..

Bike is in really good condition overall, going to grease/ replace the rear hub bearings and set gears up/ fetal it with my lad but he's genuinely over the moon with it as you can see!.

20191120_192447.jpg

OP
OP
keithmac

keithmac

Guru
No Castleford and back to pick it up, last one was other side of Leeds!.

Funnily enough he said in the car on the way there "it's like when we went to pick my bike up".

Top Bottom