Super Compact chain set for touring?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AlanW

Guru
As I've mentioned on another thread, this is the year I plan to retire and fingers crossed do some light weekend touring, but probably not camping but I'm not ruling it out all together. Maybe the odd week in a YHA?

The bike that will become eventually become my touring bike is fitted with a 50/34 compact chain set and the odd YHA weekend I've done I've simply fitted a 11/32 cassette and a longer chain and its done the job reasonably okay.

This is currently my daily commuter bike so the rest of the time it has a 11/28 cassette fitted to it. However, once I've retired, I want to adapt it to make it more suitable for light touring etc.

So I'm now exploring maybe fitting either a Shimano GRX RX600 30/46 chain set or the GRX RX810 31/48 chain set to it. I guess that the 30/46 would be the smarter option to be honest?

For those with more experience than me with touring, is my plan flawed for any reason?

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
If you go with a GRX crankset, be aware it has a wider chainline (to allow for wider rear tyres) & Shimano says it needs to be used with the GRX front derailleur. Much fettling &/or dodgy shifting otherwise, apparently.

I'm not terribly technically minded but I'll offer my touring experience......
I have never wished for a smaller rear cog but often would have sold my soul for a larger one!
Personally, I'd always consider the cost (and availability) of whatever components I'm considering, perhaps less of an issue if only used a few weekends.
@StuAff points out a potential pitfall. Measure twice, cut once (or buy once in this case) is sound advice.

On a side point, if you're not up to date I believe Youth Hostels have either disappeared or gone very commercial and expensive.

Good luck!

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
If you go with a GRX crankset, be aware it has a wider chainline (to allow for wider rear tyres) & Shimano says it needs to be used with the GRX front derailleur. Much fettling &/or dodgy shifting otherwise, apparently.

I didn't know that, thanks for the heads up!!

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Depends how light you intend to tour. If just a weekend and staying cheap and cheerful then just a dry set of clothing, towel and toiletries is enough and will come to less than 5kg including saddlebag. For that you don’t really need lower gearing than you normally get on with. Unless you intend lots of chevron hills.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
On a side point, if you're not up to date I believe Youth Hostels have either disappeared or gone very commercial and expensive.

Good luck!
Just as well. From what I remember from shared dorms with YHAers trying to erode the ozone layer they weren't a very pleasant place to stay.

Oh, and plenty of Chinese compact chainsets out there but beware quality might not be too wonderful. My advice is to stick to Shimano or a well known brand. My local bike shop here can supply one for a fiver.

Last edited:

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I don't tour (as much as I'd like to) however a few thoughts, for what they're worth.. I have 50/34 on my Genesis and 48/36/26 on my Fuji; both with an 11-34 on the back IIRC.

As a weak-middling-at-best rider I far, far prefer the gearing on the Fuji. I'm in the middle chainring 99% of the time, with only suicidal downhills requiring going up on the front and fully-loaded mountains requiring going down. Conversely on the Genesis I'm constantly skipping between both chainrings as my preferred gear ratio sits right in the middle.

As with yourself I've also considered swapping the crankset on the Genesis to the GRX 600 or 800 items you mention; in practical terms I'd expect the overall lower 46/30 of the lower-end item to be preferable; although bear in mind you're not really gaining that much advantage over the 50/34 (about 13% lower ratio at the low end) so, combined with the cost of the new FD to suit the different chainline it doesn't seem like a great-value mod.

Depending on how committed you are and the type of shifters you're currently running, I'd seriously consider a triple setup on the front. They're not fashionable and mid-level at best, so you'll not pay a whole lot; probably ballpark similar to what you'd pay for GRX..

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
If even considering camping, then the lower the better.

As with others above, a triple might make sense; we run Sora 9 speed with 46/36/24 and 11-36 on the tandem for instance.

If you want to keep a double, get the smallest inner ring you can and whatever the largest possible capacity rear derailleur is with your setup then buy a rear cassette to match would be my advice.

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
Some interesting points to ponder on, thank you.
I originally had a Dura Ace triple on the bike but while it great having a fairly close ratio cassette, there were just to many duplicate ratio combinations.
Hence why l made the switch to a compact. But to be fair l only went for the triple because compacts were not really main stream and 10 speed was a whole new thing.
But now we have compacts and semi compacts, 11 and 12 speed chain sets so lm sure l can find something that suits my needs.
Bit l do acknowledge that you will never get ultra low gearing suitable for heavy touring with anything but a triple.
I've just checked and my "touring" cassette is 11/34 not 11/32 as l originally stated in my first post.
I just need to look at the gear calcs to see what advantage going to a 30/46 chainset vs the cost to change works out at.

Jameshow

Veteran
I don't tour (as much as I'd like to) however a few thoughts, for what they're worth.. I have 50/34 on my Genesis and 48/36/26 on my Fuji; both with an 11-34 on the back IIRC.

As a weak-middling-at-best rider I far, far prefer the gearing on the Fuji. I'm in the middle chainring 99% of the time, with only suicidal downhills requiring going up on the front and fully-loaded mountains requiring going down. Conversely on the Genesis I'm constantly skipping between both chainrings as my preferred gear ratio sits right in the middle.

As with yourself I've also considered swapping the crankset on the Genesis to the GRX 600 or 800 items you mention; in practical terms I'd expect the overall lower 46/30 of the lower-end item to be preferable; although bear in mind you're not really gaining that much advantage over the 50/34 (about 13% lower ratio at the low end) so, combined with the cost of the new FD to suit the different chainline it doesn't seem like a great-value mod.

Depending on how committed you are and the type of shifters you're currently running, I'd seriously consider a triple setup on the front. They're not fashionable and mid-level at best, so you'll not pay a whole lot; probably ballpark similar to what you'd pay for GRX..

I agree have Ripley on my winter bike and love it.

Middle covers 90% of riding with the other two rings for fast / hills.

No go for racing bikes but training bike ace.

How about a single 34 with 40 - 11 cassette!
Guy has a cassette that size!

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
How about a single 34 with 40 - 11 cassette!

No way would I go for a single chain ring but fitting a 11-40 cassette with my current 34/50 chain set might be worth exploring as a cheaper option.

Not quite what I'm used to with regards to the big steps in ratios, but it's certainly a much cheaper option for the odd weekend away. This would give me 22.4" bottom gear compared to 26.4" with the 11/34 I'm using now.

With a GRX 30/46 chain set and the 11/34 cassette, which would give me 23.3" bottom gear. But the cost to change is going to be circa £200, vs around £75 for the 11-40 cassette.

Certainly, a less hassle just swopping the cassette over, if I can live with the big steps in the larger capacity cassette. I might ask some of my cycling friends if anyone has one that I can borrow for a test ride before I take the plunge.

Top Bottom