Super Compact chain set for touring?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My feeling is a triple is just better. You don't have to use all the gears, but if you want them you want them. And yes, I would want the big ring gears too. It's just to have the option.

I reckon 26-36-46 is about perfect. I am not in the market for any new stuff but I reckon those Spa chainsets are unbeatable for the price. Not one of those ridiculous modern long cage mechs with cassettes that cost as much as a wheel.

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
As retirement day draws ever close, (26 days) lm just reading back through this thread as l need to be ready to explore the world. Okay mainly Worcestershire at the moment......:laugh:

But l do have a trip booked for September, Portsmouth to Bilbao, then 10 days exploring!

I've since read about replacement chain rings by BikinGreen (EDIT- name corrected), so another possible option. At £90 for the pair (30 and 46) its by far the cheapest route.
That said, it was @T4tomo that suggested the Miche Graffe chainset, which was a great shout.
Okay it is a little more expensive but so much easier to fit that faffing about swapping chain rings over.
The only slight problem l can see, is the drop of the front derailleur to suit the 30/46 chain set. I need to lower the FD 16.2 mm, going from a 50T to a 46T. This isn't a problem as the FD is band mounted.
The issue is the gap from the lowest point of the FD to the top of the chain stay.
With the current set up, 34/50, l have a 16mm gap from the lowest edge of the FD to the top of the chain stay, which is the exact distance l need to lower the FD.
So when the smaller chain rings are fitted, l won't be able to lower the FD quite as much as l would have hoped.
Still l don't think it will present to much on a issue, l guesstimate it would only need to be around 1mm higher than you would normally set a FD to, in order to give a bit of clearance on the chain stay.

Last edited:

gcogger

As retirement day draws ever close, (26 days) lm just reading back through this thread as l need to be ready to explore the world. Okay mainly Worcestershire at the moment......:laugh:

But l do have a trip booked for September, Portsmouth to Bilbao, then 10 days exploring!

I've since read about replacement chain rings by BikeinGreen, so another possible option. At £90 for the pair (30 and 46) its by far the cheapest route.
That said, it was @T4tomo that suggested the Miche Graffe chainset, which was a great shout.
Okay it is a little more expensive but so much easier to fit that faffing about swapping chain rings over.
The only slight problem l can see, is the drop of the front derailleur to suit the 30/46 chain set. I need to lower the FD 16.2 mm, going from a 50T to a 46T. This isn't a problem as the FD is band mounted.
The issue is the gap from the lowest point of the FD to the top of the chain stay.
With the current set up, 34/50, l have a 16mm gap from the lowest edge of the FD to the top of the chain stay, which is the exact distance l need to lower the FD.
So when the smaller chain rings are fitted, l won't be able to lower the FD quite as much as l would have hoped.
Still l don't think it will present to much on a issue, l guesstimate it would only need to be around 1mm higher than you would normally set a FD to, in order to give a bit of clearance on the chain stay.
BikeinGreen? Sounds interesting, but I'm unable to find anything on a search.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
the issue often with replacement chainrings is that for a standard shimano-esque road crank set, the BCD is such that you cant make a ring smaller than 33T, hence the likes of Spa and Miche etc making more niche solution cranksets with smaller BCD, so you make smaller inner rings.

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
the issue often with replacement chainrings is that for a standard shimano-esque road crank set, the BCD is such that you cant make a ring smaller than 33T, hence the likes of Spa and Miche etc making more niche solution cranksets with smaller BCD, so you make smaller inner rings.

I think that BikinGreen have overcome that by reducing the size of the mounting bolts and having tapped holes in the smaller chainring as opposed to having chain ring bolts and nuts.

But after weighing up the pro and cons, I've opted to go for a complete Miche Graff chain set and just ordered one. My only logic being it will be easier to swap from my current 34/50 chain set over to the super compact chain set as and when needed, rather than faff about swapping chain rings over.

bromptonautie

Regular
About 5 years ago I bought an old 1994 Kona Cindercone MTB on eBay to restore as a retirement project, although I’ve not yet retired or started any serious spannering, as I’m still enjoying researching possibilities.

Noting the other replies and the rising prices, I was wondering whether you’d considered just getting a larger cassette? One of the parts I’ve bought is a Microshift 8-speed cassette 12-46T £29.99 from SJS https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/cassett...onid=eb111b72605e489e164e3a56782c26f3a89ff448

Maybe Microshift make a similar range cassette that would suit your bike?

Top Bottom