Super Long Lorries

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
according to ceefax it was stopped by the police and banned from the road

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/lincolnshire/8388420.stm

OP
OP
StuartG

StuartG

slower but further
The police stop was arranged by the promoters to test the legality in court. Hopefully the court will indeed find it illegal. But that is on a technicality of the regulations - not on its impact on the community.

The argument that these lorries will be safer because less are needed is a little weak given that the size of a vehicle is correlated with its danger.

There's already a thread in commuting about this - yes, it does seem a strange place to put it :rolleyes: - where you can read my views in more depth. But in short, I'd love a go in one of these, and from the look of the video link on the original BBC report, they don't appear to handle much differently, take up much more road space (apart from the extra length) or present much more danger to other road users than the things that are already out there.

OP
OP
StuartG

StuartG

slower but further
You don't accept that the present bendy buses & artics present special problems - especially when they make an unexpected right or left?

You are left scrabbling to get clear - or stop and pray the vehicle will clear you OK. The extra length and the ability of a driver to spot a cyclist close in 80 ft to the rear in his mirrors is surely a step change from existing stock.

And yes I have driven HGVs too so can well imagine the dificulties. Mr Denby didn't even deign to mention it. Has he had the danger independenly reviewed before taking it on the road. That I would like to know.

Nice to be on the same side as the rozzers for a change!

jonesy

Guru
StuartG said:
You don't accept that the present bendy buses & artics present special problems - especially when they make an unexpected right or left?

You are left scrabbling to get clear - or stop and pray the vehicle will clear you OK. The extra length and the ability of a driver to spot a cyclist close in 80 ft to the rear in his mirrors is surely a step change from existing stock.

And yes I have driven HGVs too so can well imagine the dificulties. Mr Denby didn't even deign to mention it. Has he had the danger independenly reviewed before taking it on the road. That I would like to know.

Nice to be on the same side as the rozzers for a change!

Firstly, there is no evidence of a significant safety problem caused by bendy buses -if you have some, then please tell us, and tell Boris, because he hasn't quoted any in support of his very expensive policy to replace them. Clearly they aren't suitable for all routes, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be used in principle. Also, don't forget that gettting rid of bendy buses has meant using a far greater number of normal buses, which increases the exposure to risk.

Secondly, you shouldn't group buses and extra long lorries together- they are very different beasts and the Deby lorry is much longer than a bendy bus.

Third, most of those asking to be able to use long HGVs are asking for them to be used on restricted routes, e.g. for long distance motorway trunking. They wouldn't be allowed on local roads. Used for that purpose they offer more efficient use of road space and increased energy efficiency.

That said, I would oppose their introduction because I don't think the road haulage industry's safety record is good enough to trust them with something like that.

Some research has been done into their likely impacts:
http://www.dft.gov.uk/rmd/project.asp?intProjectID=12704

OP
OP
StuartG

StuartG

slower but further
jonesy said:
Firstly, there is no evidence of a significant safety problem caused by bendy buses -if you have some, then please tell us,
Come ride with me along the '40' route. You get compromised often when overtaking at a bus stop. You haven't got acceleration to clear it and if you brake to let it go this causes displeasure and fear of rear shunt by vehicles that could clear it. If you hold your position you are projected into the path of oncoming traffic. Also if the bus in on a curve it obscures all vision of you in its mirrors. It can pull out not know you are there. Finally the old trick of assessing when the bus will move by eyeballing the doors is much more difficult than a conventional bus.
Secondly, you shouldn't group buses and extra long lorries together- they are very different beasts and the Deby lorry is much longer than a bendy bus.
Nope - why did I quote their differering lengths? I made the point that long existing vehicles present extra hazards so what of super long?
Third, most of those asking to be able to use long HGVs are asking for them to be used on restricted routes, e.g. for long distance motorway trunking. They wouldn't be allowed on local roads. Used for that purpose they offer more efficient use of road space and increased energy efficiency.
Really? The point Denby was making is that they are street legal. That means anywhere that doesn't have specific restrictions if he can win his case. Ever seen a length restriction?

The economic arguement is tosh. The reduction in carriage costs by this innovation would alter the distribution costs so fewer depots and longer routes. That is the kilometretonnes will increase. That is more freight on the road. OK lower prices in the shops if you live to enjoy.
That said, I would oppose their introduction because I don't think the road haulage industry's safety record is good enough to trust them with something like that.
Yes - it is interesting that this is a private venture which doesn't appear to have properly researched the consequences and being a bit economical with the benefits for the community. Lets kick it into touch at the RRL for some better analysis.

StuartG said:

As it happens, I didn't say that. Certainly articulated vehicles present their own problems to other road users; I've posted on here before about how difficult it can sometimes be to see a cyclist in the left hand mirror of an artic. What I actually said was that this Denby double lorry doesn't appear to present significantly different hazards to those presented by a normal artic.

StuartG said:
Come ride with me along the '40' route. You get compromised often when overtaking at a bus stop. You haven't got acceleration to clear it and if you brake to let it go this causes displeasure and fear of rear shunt by vehicles that could clear it. If you hold your position you are projected into the path of oncoming traffic. Also if the bus in on a curve it obscures all vision of you in its mirrors. It can pull out not know you are there. Finally the old trick of assessing when the bus will move by eyeballing the doors is much more difficult than a conventional bus.

To be honest, I would never dream of starting to overtake a long vehicle in the circumstances you describe. As I understand it, you've seen the bus pull over, you (presumably) know that buses don't remain stationary for long, you can't see the driver's mirror and you suspect the driver hasn't seen you, yet you still think an overtake is a sensible idea? I'm not having a dig at you here, but I'd have a long hard look at your own behaviour on the roads before worrying about the theoretical impact of a longer lorry.

Really? The point Denby was making is that they are street legal. That means anywhere that doesn't have specific restrictions if he can win his case. Ever seen a length restriction?

Yes, plenty. Usually, surprise surprise, on roads which are unsuitable for artics. If, as I suspect, this long lorry handles similarly to a standard artic as it appears to on the video, it won't be much more difficult to get around most town centres anyway, and no doubt if they are made road legal, there will be plenty of signs erected to tell the drivers where they can't go. After all, there are some bridges you can't get a 16' high trailer under, but no one lets that stop them being used on the road, do they?
But from what I've read about this, that's not what Denby has designed it for. He has plenty to lose in terms of bad publicity and recovery costs if the thing is spending half its working life stuck in town centres, after all.

The economic arguement is tosh. The reduction in carriage costs by this innovation would alter the distribution costs so fewer depots and longer routes. That is the kilometretonnes will increase. That is more freight on the road.

I don't think that's true. Consider my last place of employment ... every night I was one of five drivers trunking freight between Wolverhampton and Rochdale. The amount we were moving would not have increased if we'd each had one of these double lorries; we'd simply have been able to do it with two large trucks and a standard artic instead of five double decker trailers. Or the job I had before that one, which involved delivering mattress foam to a bed manufacturer. Each trailer was crammed full of this stuff, floor to roof and front to back, and we were running with perhaps five tons on the back. We used to do three or four of these a day. That number of journeys would be roughly halved if we'd been able to take twice as much on each trip. In neither case has the amount of freight being moved increased, you'll notice; it's simply being moved more efficiently. An awful lot of modern freight "cubes out" before it "weighs out".

OP
OP
StuartG

StuartG

slower but further
jonesy said:
stuart, you didn't read the link I posted, did you?
I did - and I took time to relate it to this issue. I'm sorry you missed the point and hence did not critique my suppositions. Forgive me for repeating two of the most important issues:

1) The report says longer lorries mean more fatalities per lorry but the lower number of lorries mean less fatalities. It appears this proposition is made on a fixed level of freight. This is what I questioned. Denby says, correctly, that longer lorries will decrease the carriage costs. Decreased carriage costs will make longer journeys more viable. More places can be served from fewer depots. This is a standard conclusion from any distribution model. Is the summary at fault for leaving this out or have I misread?

2) This is a maverick attempt to squeeze through a legal loophole and not a planned introduction of a new type of vehicle on safe routes as assumed in your link. There are no length restrictions around here - hence the bendy buses.

Finally criticisms of my riding technique. Yes quite valid and I am aware of some of my inadequacies. Which is why I did some retraining last week only 50 years after getting my proficiency badge. I'm not good enough. But I doubt if my trainer would put me in the bottom 50% of cyclists by skill and judgement. If experienced and skilled riders get regualry taken out by HGVs as they do in London what hope for the average, for the beginner?

I happen to believe that cycling should be for all and not just the elite for many reasons. Train them as much as possible but this Super Long initiative does appear a step backward in accommodating cyclists with mainstream traffic.

As a side issue even on the so called safe routes this type of vehicle will present new challenges to motorists (who also make mistakes) with the lack of a bailout option when they get their overtaking wrong.

jonesy

Guru
StuartG said:
I did - and I took time to relate it to this issue. I'm sorry you missed the point and hence did not critique my suppositions. Forgive me for repeating two of the most important issues:

1) The report says longer lorries mean more fatalities per lorry but the lower number of lorries mean less fatalities. It appears this proposition is made on a fixed level of freight. This is what I questioned. Denby says, correctly, that longer lorries will decrease the carriage costs. Decreased carriage costs will make longer journeys more viable. More places can be served from fewer depots. This is a standard conclusion from any distribution model. Is the summary at fault for leaving this out or have I misread?

2) This is a maverick attempt to squeeze through a legal loophole and not a planned introduction of a new type of vehicle on safe routes as assumed in your link. There are no length restrictions around here - hence the bendy buses.

Finally criticisms of my riding technique. Yes quite valid and I am aware of some of my inadequacies. Which is why I did some retraining last week only 50 years after getting my proficiency badge. I'm not good enough. But I doubt if my trainer would put me in the bottom 50% of cyclists by skill and judgement. If experienced and skilled riders get regualry taken out by HGVs as they do in London what hope for the average, for the beginner?

I happen to believe that cycling should be for all and not just the elite for many reasons. Train them as much as possible but this Super Long initiative does appear a step backward in accommodating cyclists with mainstream traffic.

As a side issue even on the so called safe routes this type of vehicle will present new challenges to motorists (who also make mistakes) with the lack of a bailout option when they get their overtaking wrong.

The reason I questioned whether you'd read the report was that after I posted the link you said "Lets kick it into touch at the RRL for some better analysis.". The report was written by TRL, formerly known as RRL...

The problem with your argument 1. is that it could apply to any efficiency improvement. Would you argue that the haulage industry shouldn't be permitted to use more efficient engines, because this will reduce the cost of freight and hence encourage more transport? 'rebound effects' are well known in transport policy, and need to be addressed through overall taxes and charges on transport, but it would be perverse to oppose efficiency improvements in principle for that reason.

Re argument 2. Yes, I agree that transport policy shouldn't be changed through the exploitation of loopholes. And I've already said why I'd oppose the introduction of longer vehicles as things stand. But there is rather more to the issue than that, and as the report I linked to indicates the arguments aren't as black and white as you suggest.

And the safety case against bendy buses has still not been demonstrated objectively... the consequences of which are lots of money being spent replacing them with a much greater number of normal vehicles that are less efficient at doing the job and increasing total exposure to risk.

Edit- the DfT link goes to the wrong place. You can get the full report here:
http://www.trl.co.uk/online_store/r...fects_if_Permitted_in_the_UK_Final_Report.htm

you'll need to register to get the PDF

OP
OP
StuartG

StuartG

slower but further
I am not arguing for or against the size of lorries as such. Just this unplanned and probably under researched initiative.

It is the government's job to balance the benefits/disbenefits of any lorry configuration. Heavier lorries are good for lorry operators who save money but bad for road providers who have to spend money to support the axles. There is a bargain to be struck between the two. What is it now, 44 tonnes?

Here we have super long lorries with safety, economic and co2 emmission implications. The report you quote appears to suggest the benefits outweigh the disbenefits. As reported in the summary - sorry I have no time to read the full report - it displays a failure to take into account a growth in road transport that would result from lower costs. If this were so, (and I would be grateful if you have read the report to confirm it one way or another), then it is worthless or even dangerous.

The Denby guy only put one side. The RRL/TRL is supposed to balance. In the old days people were suspicious that its analysis was bent to favour the road transport lobby. It would be good to see them do a study on this configuration so we could test the analysis to assure ourselves they are now representing the interests of all road users - including us!

jonesy

Guru
StuartG said:
..Here we have super long lorries with safety, economic and co2 emmission implications. The report you quote appears to suggest the benefits outweigh the disbenefits. As reported in the summary - sorry I have no time to read the full report - it displays a failure to take into account a growth in road transport that would result from lower costs. If this were so, (and I would be grateful if you have read the report to confirm it one way or another), then it is worthless or even dangerous.

Re bold bit. I've already dealt with this- again, that argument can be used against any any efficiency improvement, like improving mpg. It's called the rebound effect, it's a reason to ensure that fuel prices and road charges are maintained high enough to constrain demand, but isn't a reason to oppose efficiency improvements in the first place. Would you advocate a ban on high mpg engines because they reduce costs too much?

If you don't have time to read reports on the subject then that's fine, but that doesn't put you in strong position to claim it to be 'under-researched'! And it was you who specifically asked for a RRL report, so I've pointed you to one but now you suggest it may be biased! I can only do so much!

StuartG said:
It is the government's job to balance the benefits/disbenefits of any lorry configuration. Heavier lorries are good for lorry operators who save money but bad for road providers who have to spend money to support the axles. There is a bargain to be struck between the two. What is it now, 44 tonnes?

It's not the total weight which is the most damaging factor (in terms of road surfaces), but the configuration. The six axle artic, which is the most common type in the UK (and the one I drive every night:blush:) is about the most damaging possible, especially with non - steering axles. The continental "wagon and drag" (a standard rigid lorry with a trailer the same length behind it) is much easier on the road surface, especially if the trailer has a steering front axle. That Denby outfit looks to me more like a steering wagon and drag than anything else, albeit with two trailers instead of one. Whatever, it looks like it'll cause significantly less damage to the road surface than the thing I drive.

Top Bottom