Super Long Lorries

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BluesDave

Formerly known as DavidDecorator
Lorries frighten me when I'm out on my bike. I always treat them as something that actually wants to kill me or worse.
I never go up the inside of them unless they are stopped and not likely to move untill I pass. I would never cut one up and I always sit up as straight as possible on my bike when I'm near one in the hope that they can see me.
It can be difficult to position yourself right to be seen by the driver in the cab but apparrently the rule of thumb is if you can see the the mirrors on each side you can be seen.
As for this 80' triple juggernaut I sincerely hope they are never allowed on Britains roads.
Firstly our roads are not big enough, many high streets whose shops get deliveries by lorry in London are mostly blocked off on one side when dropping. They actually park partly on the pavement which is illegal.
I also think that demographically speaking there are far more serious injuries and deaths to cyclists per ratio of lorries to cyclists opposed to cars to cyclists on a weekly basis in any event. Particularly in London.
That said I utilise the same precautions with regards to buses, cars and vans. I choose to remember that I am not protected in a strong metal box unlike the motorists.

Am I nervous cyclist, perhaps I am, am I a skilled & experienced cyclist, moderately so. In any event the number of vehicles on our roads needs to start being restricted. 22million at the last count for an Island this size thats just too many.
Am I totally anti car, van etc. No I'm not and I have to start driving soon. This is only because I now have tendonitis in both shoulders which is aggravated by carrying heavy bags of dust sheets, tools etc.

I'm actually very nervous of driving to the point of having a phobia but thats a personal issue. In fact I don't even want to learn to drive and I never really have done. Needless to say I pity who-ever my driving instructor is going to be. :sad:

Jezston

Über Member
May I ask why these type of lorries are illegal but double-trailer lorries aren't?

There's an Argos one that regularly passes me on my ride home from work and it isn't desperately pleasant to say the least.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
May I ask why these type of lorries are illegal but double-trailer lorries aren't?

There's an Argos one that regularly passes me on my ride home from work and it isn't desperately pleasant to say the least.

It's to do with overall length which currently is limited to 18.75 metres before you have to start using trombone trailers and permits.

If these super longs are used on the pallet networks between hubs which are located on motorways / dual carriageways then personally I don't see it as being a problem. The only issue would be preventing any rouge / stupid hauliers from using them on routes which are unsuitable.

As for rail, the rail network in this country is so ****** up it really is more hassle than its worth.

That's not a double trailer lorry. It's what's known as a "wagon and drag" and is a normal rigid lorry towing a short trailer, as opposed to a tractor unit towing a long trailer. At least, it is if it's the same as all the other Argos ones around the country.
The only people who are currently allowed to operate genuine double trailer lorries on Britain's roads are - for reasons which escape me - fairground operators.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
That's not a double trailer lorry. It's what's known as a "wagon and drag" and is a normal rigid lorry towing a short trailer, as opposed to a tractor unit towing a long trailer. At least, it is if it's the same as all the other Argos ones around the country.
The only people who are currently allowed to operate genuine double trailer lorries on Britain's roads are - for reasons which escape me - fairground operators.

Argos seem to run those a lot however it makes sense as a lot of them are swop bodies. Usually at about 6 if I am still at work I can see about 50 parked up from my office window, they don't like to work late....

Top Bottom