Superglue cadence magnet to carbon crank?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Blue

Legendary Member
bonj said:
you don't buy carbon 'cos it looks nice, you buy it 'cos it's light. Get a (black) laggy band on it. Or just don't bother with cadence

Tell me something I don't know.

My point was that it makes no sense to me to make a nice expensive bike look like a dogs dinner. However, if someone likes the Steptoe look, go for it.

I also made a point about contacting the manufacturer. I wouldn't dream of messing with a bike on the basis of an opinion expressed on a cycling forum. Ask any question and you won't get a definitive answer - the first lesson I learned about cycling forums!!

I have been on the lookout for something to clip the thing BETWEEN two spokes. sort of >-()-< shape to just fit between with the > clipping to the spoke and the () being the magnet.

Then is is not a permenat attachment to the bike and will not mess anything up.

Edit - sorry I was on clipping to wheels and overlooked crank.
Suppose may be a smart way of clipping in a gap though.

Blue

Legendary Member
The Flightdeck is a crap bit of kit IMO. I have one and wish I hadn't bothered - when it breaks I'll be replacing it with something better. The Flightdeck read-outs are a pain to scroll through and it's all too easy to rub a thumb on the buttons and stop the thing mid ride.

I would suggest you take a look at the Cateye range. On another bike I have a Cateye that uses a chainstay mounted sensor to take all distance, speed and cadence readings and it gives a more useful multi readout. A far far superior bit of kit IMO.

Why do manufacturers not 'produce' one magnetic spoke for every front wheel?
Seems to be the obvious 'engineered' answer - then all wheels would be 'computer ready'! :sad:

(Hides in corner ready for the gunfire from unbalancers / weightweenies etc...:thumbsup:)

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Aperitif said:
Why do manufacturers not 'produce' one magnetic spoke for every front wheel?
Seems to be the obvious 'engineered' answer - then all wheels would be 'computer ready'! :sad:

(Hides in corner ready for the gunfire from unbalancers / weightweenies etc...:thumbsup:)

Na, if you want computer ready wheels you get a pair of these they have a small magnet moulded right into the rim for use with a cycle computer as well as a small embedded memory chip that stores each individual wheel's serial number, production conditions and trueness as it left the factory. Then again I could get a couple of decent bikes for the same price...

OP
OP
Shaun

Shaun

Founder
RTFM - reveals that the recommended point for attaching the cadence magnet is on the end of the pedal spindle.

Tried it, and the magnet literally flew out of my hand and firmly planted itself there - where it has stayed for several days now, and looks like it will be happy staying there for a long time to come.

Just need some super glue attach the cadence sensor further up the seat tube ... :biggrin:

Thanks for all the advice though, much appreciated :biggrin:

Cheers,
Shaun

shooter560

Admin said:
RTFM - reveals that the recommended point for attaching the cadence magnet is on the end of the pedal spindle.

Tried it, and the magnet literally flew out of my hand and firmly planted itself there - where it has stayed for several days now, and looks like it will be happy staying there for a long time to come.

Just need some super glue attach the cadence sensor further up the seat tube ... :biggrin:

Thanks for all the advice though, much appreciated :smile:

Cheers,
Shaun

I'm sure thats exactly what I suggested ages ago but was ignored or just misses as I'm a newbie :smile:

OP
OP
Shaun

Shaun

Founder
shooter560 said:
Why not put the magnet on the inside surface of the pedal, no glue, no mess and never lost a magnet either :smile:

Erm ... yup, looks like you did suggest it :biggrin:

Well, you'll be please to know your idea works ... with knobs on ... ;) :biggrin:

Cheers,
Shaun

Top Bottom