Supergranny - the result.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just wanted to give some feedback on my gearing problems/questions put on here under “Supergranny?” a few weeks ago.

Firstly thanks to Redbike, Simonc, Vernon, Steve Austin, Andrew S, P.H and The Doctor for your responses, you were most helpful.

So I had 12-23T on the back and 52, 42, 30 on the front. Coming from a mountain bike to a road/racer I was having problems with the hills on my ol’ legs.

I swapped the rear cassette to a 12 – 28 (nothing else changed) which I got on ebay and that did feel a bit better.

Pleased with progress I was tempted to play with the front end and found a 26T inner ring on Ebay for about £2 and popped that on really just to try it. I did have in mind that I would need to change all 3 rings down in size.

I have now had a couple of runs up White Hill and am really pleased with my Supergranny bike now. It copes with the 26T to 42T jump really no differently to before and the set up is working out just as I wanted it.

Job done for under £30 even including the cassette removal tool and the bike is so much nicer for me. Who knows I may get fit enough now to change it all back!

Only small problem is I get a regular scrape/clonk noise in second from biggest ring on the back but I guess this is the chain rubbing on the big ring so should sort out with a bit of fiddling.

Thanks again Guys.

:blush::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

betty swollocks

large member
Is that the White Hill between Overton and Kingsclere? If it is, I know it well. Whichever side you climb up, you are assured of a good whizz down the other: your hard work is thus rewarded.

betty swollocks said:
Is that the White Hill between Overton and Kingsclere? If it is, I know it well. Whichever side you climb up, you are assured of a good whizz down the other: your hard work is thus rewarded.

That is the one! A good test for an old(ish) git.

I went up there on Thursday and when I turned round for a whizz back I found the wind was so strong I had to pedal fairly hard to get downhill!

Top Bottom