Supermarket pricing policies

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Adam4868

Guru
I avoid supermarkets wherever possible,I try my best,I wont even use them for fuel.There is the odd occasion but then I only buy what im told by my better half !

OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
If they only wanted 200gm or so of strawberries. Twofer offers are only a bargain if you actually want the larger amount.
Why not offer the 'perfect' fruit in the smaller pack size then? It's all marketing b*******.

PK99

Legendary Member
Why not offer the 'perfect' fruit in the smaller pack size then? It's all marketing b*******.

Twofer offers are normally funded by the supplier, not the supermrket but are at the supermarket's insistence, and you, the customer, like them and buy them.

Personally, I only but twofers when I actually want the larger amount.

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I had a doozie earlier this year, instead of buying a bag of Parsnips for 50-60p the Co-op had loose single ones so I thought great, better for the environment and I only need one. Got to the till and saw the price come up for Parsnips by weight, the one I'd picked up came to over a quid on the scales. :eek: :ohmy:

I told the woman on the till she could return that to the shelves.

Adam4868

Guru
So what do you do then for food shopping?
Do you go to lots of little independent shops instead? everyone nearly that I've been in including fruit and veg shops tend to be really pricey.
I do,I'll pay a bit more to someone who is independent. Im not saying 'never' my partner does some supermarket shopping.Id just prefer to give my money to someone else.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
So what do you do then for food shopping?
Do you go to lots of little independent shops instead? everyone nearly that I've been in including fruit and veg shops tend to be really pricey.

I buy most of my fruit and veg from the local market. It's cheaper, tastier, more seasonal and tends to be locally sourced

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I had a doozie earlier this year, instead of buying a bag of Parsnips for 50-60p the Co-op had loose single ones so I thought great, better for the environment and I only need one. Got to the till and saw the price come up for Parsnips by weight, the one I'd picked up came to over a quid on the scales. :eek: :ohmy:

I told the woman on the till she could return that to the shelves.

Maybe the individual ones were organic free range rare breed heritage duchy approved parsnips? ^_^

Top Bottom