superstar components essentials 2 wheelset experiences ? Recommended ? Went for Cero A24 EVO'S

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

airborneal

Hi Guys, anyone had any experience of above wheelset.

Can't seem to find much in the way of reviews

I weigh around 100kg so may be a factor

Please note, I have contacted the company and am awaiting a reply, would also like real life thoughts

Many thanks, alan

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Don't know anything about them but this guy doesn't seem to be very happy about the noise his freehub is making;

View: https://youtu.be/sQdHI1VAQyw

I have a 2 yr old set with the ARC 22 rims but they used different hubs then. I liked the rear hub as it made a nice angry wasp noise when free wheeling. I don't know what the newer uk made hubs are like. I weigh around 70kg and the 20/24 spoke has never been a problem. I have beaten the wheels within a inch of their lives hopping up and down kerbs etc mainly commute to work riding over 100 miles per week . Never needed truing , fairly light and prefer them to Mavic Aksiums etc. The rims will be soon be a bit too concave,( used in all weathers, lats of braking on a commute wears the rims out) I don't mind writing them off due to the price and will probably buy a set again.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
I think the name "Superstar Components" sounds a bit suspicious to me. Maybe I'm just being silly.

To be honest, everything I have bought from them has been top notch

I recently had some 9mm/10mm thru axles from them, which were the only ones long enough for my rear wheel needs.

They've taken some stick in the past for the hubs they supplied for their wheels. However, I believe they now make their own, rather than use cheap third party ones.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
I’ve had the elite ultras for a few years, no problems whatsoever, superstar are probably bigger in mountain bike circles to be fair, but no complaints from me.
Great post from @Hacienda71 in this thread regarding superstar
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/superstar-elite-wheels.227090/

Last edited:

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire

Broadside

Guru
I had a pair of Superstar Pave 28 wheels, they were great and stayed true for the 10,000 miles I used them before writing them (and the bike) off in a crash. If anything I would say they were underpriced for the quality of the product, no complaints from me as they were great value.

OP
OP
airborneal

airborneal

Thanks for all the input guys, much appreciated. I must admit more positive comments on the Superstars than negative. However I have plumped for some Cero AR24 Evo's [see link below], They are the Evo's and not older AR24 in title They have had great reviews ec
At moment got 10% off so were approx £175 posted.

Only possible negative is the weight limit recommendations, I will be building a bike for next year so good reason to lose some weight before then !

Thanks again, Alan
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CERO-Whe...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Levo-Lon

Guru
I had a set, mavic 117 rims.
Bearings were shyte, after fitting real bearings made of steel the wheels were excellent

OP
OP
airborneal

airborneal

Hi Guys, just an update, went for a set of CERO AR24 Evos from Cycle Division on ebay.. They were £190 + £5 p&p. at the time ebay were doing a voucher code so got £19 off that so in the end £176 posted
Weight wise they claim 1499 grams mine are 1498 grams [without skewers]

They are also tubeless compatible, they look good [not blinghy] run smooth and true and I'm very pleased, however I won't ride them until spring so the proof in the pudding will be then, which reminds me by spring I need to lose a bit of pudding to get below the 100kg weight recommendation.

Top Bottom