Support cars - why?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ludwig

Hopeless romantic
Why is it necessary in pro bike racing to have all those support cars? With these expensive pro bikes being ultra reliable these days and the carbon footprint etc these following vehicles shouldn't be necessary. If they have a problem like a puncture or snapped chain they should have to fix it themselves at the roadside like we all have to.
And another annoying thing is the riders being miked up to the support cars so in effect the riders become like radio controlled robots. Its time pro bike racing woke up and got into the 21st century.

gavintc

Guru
It is in the 21st Century, using as much modern equipment as it needs to support their riders. What you propose, is a return to a bygone era. Wheel and if necessary bike exchanges are an important element of maintaining the race. Why should a puncture determine the outcome of an important race.

bonj2

"and... and.. and YES! the bloke carrying bikes on a car has been disqualified! Good! i don't know how he expected to get away with that!"
:ohmy::biggrin::biggrin:

Ludwig said:
Why is it necessary in pro bike racing to have all those support cars? With these expensive pro bikes being ultra reliable these days and the carbon footprint etc these following vehicles shouldn't be necessary. If they have a problem like a puncture or snapped chain they should have to fix it themselves at the roadside like we all have to.
And another annoying thing is the riders being miked up to the support cars so in effect the riders become like radio controlled robots. Its time pro bike racing woke up and got into the 21st century.
You mean went to sleep and got back into the early 20th...
Perhaps riders should have panniers with spare parts in? Would a rider be disqualified for having a lab tech help him repair a carbon fork? I agree with you about race radio though.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Ludwig has a sort of a kind of a point.

Racing as it is concentrates bike manufacturers' minds on making bikes fast. Full stop. Reliability comes a long second, and puncture protection well behind that, because in a race, there's always a spare bike not far behind.

If racers did have to fix their own punctures or mend their own chains, you can bet there'd be bikes coming on the market which never got punctures or broken chains, but which didn't suffer extra weight to prevent them.

Uncle Phil said:
Ludwig has a sort of a kind of a point.

Racing as it is concentrates bike manufacturers' minds on making bikes fast. Full stop. Reliability comes a long second, and puncture protection well behind that, because in a race, there's always a spare bike not far behind.

If racers did have to fix their own punctures or mend their own chains, you can bet there'd be bikes coming on the market which never got punctures or broken chains, but which didn't suffer extra weight to prevent them.
Bike manufacturers don't generally make tyres or chains.

Keith Oates

Janner
Support cars for tyres, wheels etc. I understand and agree with, but for me radios should go. However Boonen was reported as being very angry when it was suggested by ASO for the tour. This has convinced me even more that they are definitely an aid that the top riders use to be given the instruction of when to chase and by how much. The riders should do this not some DS watching and listening from a car a the back. My opinion of Boonen has dropped somewhat since reading that information!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Noodley

Dave5N said:
Radios are a great leveller, as weaker teams can get information through the team as effectively as stronger ones.

Everyone can ride with the same knowledge.

What about breakaways by smaller teams? Radios only serve the big boys...time for them to go, and a return to proper racing! ;)

Keith Oates

Janner
Dave5N said:
Radios are a great leveller, as weaker teams can get information through the team as effectively as stronger ones.

Everyone can ride with the same knowledge.

To the contrary Dave, it means the stronger teams can play 'cat and mouse' with the lesser teams in the full knowledge of when and where they can put in the best effort!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
It ain't gonna change though, is it?!

At the end of the day, the strongest rider with the strongest team should win, radios have levelled this off a little.

girofan

Keith Oates said:
Support cars for tyres, wheels etc. I understand and agree with, but for me radios should go. However Boonen was reported as being very angry when it was suggested by ASO for the tour. This has convinced me even more that they are definitely an aid that the top riders use to be given the instruction of when to chase and by how much. The riders should do this not some DS watching and listening from a car a the back. My opinion of Boonen has dropped somewhat since reading that information!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah! When I wert a lad radios were for't music, not some greasy dago shouting in your't ear aboot bein' two minutes doon on'tut maglia rosa. :thumbsup::biggrin:
Seriously though, radios take all the decision making from the rider and make him chess on wheels for a DS to manipulate. Do we wish for cycle racing to go the way of the 'slot car' F1.

bonj2

I think it does make it a bit too clinical.
I mean why not just have a health check up - measure things like cardiovascular efficiency, muscle size, etc. and work out who the winner is beforehand without even bothering to actually DO the race. Bit like formula 1.

mondobongo

Über Member
Support cars do what they say on the tin ie support the riders ensuring that they can continue racing bikes. Race Radio is a sanitiser taking the impetus and spirit out of the racing and needs to go.

Top Bottom