Support Wye Valley Cycle Path Application Today!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robbarker

Ok folks, this in an important one....

Sustrans have a planning application in (two actually as it spans two authority areas) for a cycle path on the old railway line between Chepstow and Tintern. The applications are live now and we need people to email in support, to make sure the small number of local NIMBYs don't get ddisproportionate represenation for their selfish views. The vast majority of locals are very enthusiastic about the plans.

The path will provide a safe, off-road cycle route along the lower Wye Valley giving locals and visitors alike a safe alternative to the lethal A466 between Brockweir and Chepstow.

Sustrans have earmarked funding from the Connect2 bid and this will get built quite quickly if the planning is approved.

Simply email the address below with the reference numbers given - just say you are in support, they are simply counting fors and againsts, not weighing up argumants.

If you live locally, say so, if you are not email anyway but there is no need to say where you live.

Forest of Dean Council:

planning@fdean.gov.uk quoting reference P1597/07/FUL

Monmouthshire Council

planning@monmouthshire.gov.uk quoting reference DC/2008/00367

We only have until the end of the week so please do this now!

Thanks

Rob

domtyler

Über Member
Wye?

Maz

Guru
Done.
Wye-eye (Geordie Version)

edit: just got an automated reply: F*ck off you don't even live in Wales.

(joke - tho I did send off a 'in favour' email, honest)

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Done - friends of mine have just moved to Chepstow so it would be nice to take the kids across and go for a ride with them (they aren't the type to cycle great distances on the road).

Norv

Done aswell.

Being in west Bristol, the area's only about a 12 mile bike ride away, so I go up there fairly often.
I can imagine the path being popular with families, who can park the car at Aust services, ride over the severn bridge cycle path (kids find this pretty exciting) and then do the path to Tintern.

-Note to the original poster, the A466 isn't really "lethal" to ride on for most cyclists. Sure, it's a proper A road, but i've never felt at any risk whilst using it. On the other hand, I can imagine it being a bit of a nightmare with kids. But the climb would be too tough for most children anyhow.

domtyler said:

What about the "Tintern Abbey" (Yes it is!) joke!

On the serious point, why do people object to cycle paths?
If you think the local A road is safe ask your self - would you send your 10 year old to school along it?

I live in a big village about two miles from Basingstoke. It is only linked by a narrow and very busy B Road. Funds and the will is in place to put in the path but there is a vocal minority who oppose it even though a kid got killed cycling it a year ago. Posters are torn down as soon as put up and anti path press is in the local rag.

I use the road but am pleased to see the path cater for those who are less happy sharing the road with 40 tonne trucks and would go in it with my kids. What is the problem with people?

We cyclists have to fight hard for even a few crumbs off the table but people still object to that.

Good luck with the path - may ask for some tips when you get it through.

WJHall

Über Member
Thanks for the reminder, I have dug out the letter I sent last time, and updated it. "Young teenage family" has now become "Young adult family", which shows how long this has been going on. (I actually used the modification to illustrate this.)

Actually, planning committees are not likely to take too much notice of a simple e-mail count, so try and include some brief personal arguments, (In my case, Bristol resident, 20 miles just right for family rides, access to all lanes around Tintern, danger of main road.) and then extend these to general arguments. (Reduced traffic in AONB, whilst not affecting local tourist businesses, etc.)

It is usually considered a good idea to ask specifically for your letter to be shown to the planning committee. A pile of letters with short, clear reasoned arguments is more impressive than the planning officer's summary of representations, and it includes what you actually said, not what the officer said you said.

John Hall

OP
OP
robbarker

robbarker

Thanks John, and to all who have taken the trouble to email so far.

Please keep them coming folks!

Top Bottom