Support your LBS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milzy

Guru
As I rode past a LBS I went & bought a new chain. It was £8 cheaper on wiggle.

Now I'd hate to see that fella go out of business, he has a wife & kids to feed but I can't ever justify doing the same ever again.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
I figure I'm happy to pay around 10% extra at my LBS as a 'having an LBS tax' and I'll not window shop in there then buy elsewhere (so if I know what I want and see they are overly expensive I'll go somewhere else. If we chat through options and they spend time showing me stuff and I decide 'that's what I want' I'll buy it there rather than disappear off and price compare). Kind of works for me. Consumables come from the internet unless I'm in a hurry.

ScotiaLass

Guru
I bought my MTB from my LBS. It was the same price as online and I've had great service.
However, I went back to look at what they had re a hybrid bike.
They had quite a few, but spec for spec, they were dearer than online, plus I would have had to buy mudguards etc, which came with the bike online.
They are okay for small bits or in an emergency for parts, but overall they are way too expensive....for example, bar ends from them £26, same ones online £17.
In this financial climate I can't afford anymore than a few pounds difference :sad:

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
My LBS has a price match........and they are really nice guys.

Shorter Rochford - give them a try :smile:

I either use them, or Dave at Bittacy Cycles, Mill Hill East. It is like going back 40 years. He can repair anything, build wheels to a high quality and he rebuilt and serviced a Sturmey Archer 5 speed hub for me and charged me £25 which I thought was very reasonable.

Edit--There are many things that are just not available online, such as repairs and servicing that may not be the bread and butter of their business, but selling spares and bits and bobs might be. Once they have gone we might be at the mercy of Halfords and Evans and the likes of.

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
If you find a shop which offers good advice and are helpful then spend a bit more there cos when they're gone you're kippered. Internet sellers are cheap cos they don't have the overheads or staffing costs that a shop does.

I'm not rich enough to be able to put principles before price if the difference is significant, but if it's close then I'll support the LBS.

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
I asked if I'd need a chain tool & he said no KTM's are snap on. So I went oh great thanks, see ya...... Got home, ohh I need a chain tool to get the old non snap on one off! Rats. Ordered one from ebay in the end o_O

I have a sad tail to tell....

Once upon a time in Southsea was a local bike shop that was known as "Butlers" and they purveyed a good choice of cycling equipment, clothing,bikes and advice.

Then they moved to larger premises and started messing around with a newfangled thing called the "Internet"

Another move occurred to bigger premises, as the "Internet" became more important, but you could still talk to someone and buy things. You could even collect the from the store!

Then there was another move, and after some ten years experience I was not concerned when my rear dérailleur failed as I passed by these premises on the way home, so could buy a new one and fit.... but alas there was only a buzzer at the door, and a contact number.

No... despite the fact my bike was unserviceable and could be fixed in minutes.... they would post the part to my house, they could not under any circumstances come down the stairs, accept my credit card and provide the dérailleur

That was the last time I shopped at Wiggle

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
Some LBS fix you up & the spot & even sometimes do it for free if you buying parts off them. Ideal when you're miles away from home. Some say yeah I'll have it done in a few days, nice when you're miles away from home. I like instant action not farting about otherwise shop at wiggle & fix it yourself it will be much quicker.

Penmere

A few years ago I bought a Specialized Secteur Elite from my LBS, asked if they would price match Evans and had £200 knocked of. April this year bought a Dawes Galaxy and had £150 knocked off just for asking.

Top Bottom