Supported tour of Scottish Islands, invitation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

doonhaemer

Join us on this fully supported tour of some of the Scottish Island and the best of the West Coast,.
Last week in May starting and ending in Dunoon. Van support carrying all luggage, on ride food supplies and spares. Cooks preparing meals at the hostel accommodation. You pay just your share of the actual cost and raise some funds for the charity Tearfund. See http://www.tearfundcycling.btck.co.uk/TouroftheIsles for more details.

Count me out on the helmets issue.

Could be interesting. Not sure about sharing in hostels. My experience of men in hostels is that they emit noises from both ends - sometimes at the same time!!
As well as that, as an independent traveller I find large groups taking over small hostels (especially remote ones) a pain in the backside. I once shared with a 'backpacking' group i.e a group of students being ferried around in a minibus, I arrived at the hostel hot, sweaty, tired and hungry. I couldn't have a hot shower because all the water had been used up and I couldn't use the catering facilities because they were having a three course meal that used every bit of cooking equipment, crockery and cutlery and they didn't wash up until the next morning. Grrr.

If I'm reading it right, the helmet bit applies to sportives, it's not clear if it applies to this, it might. Also I doubt this is aimed at experienced tourists or if it is, it's aimed at those interested in the charity.

It looks a good ride, with good routes and a worthwhile cause that isn't, on appearance, trying to rip anyone off, so you might want to cut the guy some slack.

Brandane

Legendary Member
you might want to cut the guy some slack.

Not got any problem with the OP, or the ride itself, or the charity. Just the organisers, or the insurance company dictators, or whoever is responsible for insisting on helmets. Last I checked, it was perfectly legal to cycle on British roads without them.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Reading through the blurb, it appears the helmets are an insurance issue.

I cannot find any prices but the Tour of Scotland trip was £350, which is reasonable. But then they had to pay "at least" £500 each to the charity. So if you go as a couple, as Jannie and I would, you need to find an extra £1000 minimum.

We would have considered this as we are planning to ride the Outer Hebrides next year but that size of donation makes it impractical for us.

Steve

snorri

Legendary Member
We would have considered this as we are planning to ride the Outer Hebrides next year
Better to go independent if you really want to see the islands.
It appears the word 'tour' has in this instance been used in the TdF sense as the pace is clearly too rapid to allow for any more than minimal appreciation of the area you cycle through.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Better to go independent if you really want to see the islands.
It appears the word 'tour' has in this instance been used in the TdF sense as the pace is clearly too rapid to allow for any more than minimal appreciation of the area you cycle through.

You'lll not be wanting to try this instead.
Somewhat further to ride and only five days.
Still, no helmet required.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
+1. Whatever happened to freedom of choice, as long as it complies with the law? I am seeing more and more of this "no helmet, no ride" BS, which makes me all the more determined NOT to wear one :cursing:.

It's not a matter of choice for the organisers. The terms of the event insurance stipulates the compulsory wearing of cycle helmets. It's not bull, it's simply one of the terms and conditions of participation.

You still have freedom of choice. You can choose, as you have done, not to do the ride. There will be plenty of helmet wearers willing to fill the places.

I don't envy the organisers of such events, they are caught between a rock and a hard place. If they had to meet the demands of every minority choice or taste, planning and organisation would take eons and there's still be disgruntlement that there are not enough places for some of the minority groups. If the nay sayers tried organising a similar event of a similar scale that catered for kindred spirits I bet that they'd be underwhelmed by the rush of applicants and would be wondering how they can balance the budget.

It's not an event that I'd consider participating in because I am too lardy to get any enjoyment from it but it doesn't prompt me to rubbish the event because it doesn't meet my specific needs.

I can't wait to see the explosion of non hostel accommodation, non helmet sportives. I reckon my beard will be reaching the floor before the first one breaks even.

Good luck @doonhaemer with the event. I wish you every success.

Ill not be participating on the issue of the forbidity of phone use whilst riding. Last time i looked it was perfectly legal to use a phone whilst riding a bike. Fascists.

Top Bottom