Supported tour of Scottish Islands, invitation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just Hope its not windy once you are on the Islands as heading south means you head into the prevailing wind, and from my experiences of riding in the Hebrides that means a long hard day, fighting strong winds.
On one trip heading north through Uist the wind was pushing me along at 30mph in places.

frank9755

Cyclist
There are insurers who don't insist on helmets. For example, an event organised under the CTC's insurance - like, for example this one, which I am organising tomorrow!

It's just sloppiness on the part of organisers for accepting it as a condition and then passing it on to their customers. Don't blame the insurance companies: they are just offering what the customers (ie organisers) are willing to accept!

OP
OP
doonhaemer

doonhaemer

We were blessed with good weather and only a slight breeze on the outer isles, I had my fears about that .
Having the vehicle support meant we could easily manage the daily mileage and still have plenty of time to stop and appreciate what we were passing through on our lightweight bikes. However having to pre book all those ferries and co ordinating the times was a bit stressful; if I go to th eouter Isles again it will be just me and a bike.
Over £10 000 was raised for Tearfund.

Crackle reads rightly, helmets are not compulsory for these tours, you can even use a phone while riding if you can do it safley. I'm one who thinks the risk of riding a bike without a helmet is often overstated, but it makes sense to insist on them in a sportive because the numbers taking part increases the risk of a fall considerably.

Details of next years tour posted on the Sportive board as the supported nature of the tour probably appeals more to the lightwieght cyclist.

We were blessed with good weather and only a slight breeze on the outer isles, I had my fears about that .
Having the vehicle support meant we could easily manage the daily mileage and still have plenty of time to stop and appreciate what we were passing through on our lightweight bikes. However having to pre book all those ferries and co ordinating the times was a bit stressful; if I go to th eouter Isles again it will be just me and a bike.
Over £10 000 was raised for Tearfund.

Crackle reads rightly, helmets are not compulsory for these tours, you can even use a phone while riding if you can do it safley. I'm one who thinks the risk of riding a bike without a helmet is often overstated, but it makes sense to insist on them in a sportive because the numbers taking part increases the risk of a fall considerably.

Details of next years tour posted on the Sportive board as the supported nature of the tour probably appeals more to the lightwieght cyclist.

The islands are lovely when the weather is fine as you had, but as you will guess the exposed part in rough weather make it a different ball game, You will have to return someday and do your own unsupported ride,so much easier as you don't need to book ferries etc,

Brandane

Legendary Member
I am just back from a trip to the outer Hebrides. Oban to Barra by ferry, then another ferry to Eriskay, ride up the Uists to Berneray, another ferry to Harris, ride to Stornoway, then ferry back to the mainland at Ullapool.

The weather was "changeable"! Out of 4 days on the islands, there were 2 days when the sun came out for a few hours and it was stunning, particularly the hills of Harris. The rest of the time it rained, a lot. Sometimes torrential, which made camping somewhat uncomfortable. The wind was constant from the south, so I was grateful to be heading north. Going in the opposite direction on a bicycle would have been torture.

Fortunately I had 600cc of engine attached to this particular bike to help me along. I was glad at times that an achilles injury had forced my hand and made me decide to abandon my original plan to cycle; it would not have been fun for a confirmed FWC. Even my good Weisse motorbike waterproofs were no match for that volume of rain. Neither was my Vango tent :sad:. That's what I get for buying a second hand tent.

OP
OP
doonhaemer

doonhaemer

Statiscally, May is drier than August in North West Scotland. I don't know if Midges are an issue much on the outer Isles, perhaps they all get blown to the mainland, but if they are an issue then May is a better bet for them as well. Plus at the end of may there is a bit more daylight.
Of course, you would need to go every year for about 100 years to prove the statistics, so if you can be free to up and go anytime the best thing is to check the week ahead weather forcast and go when it looks good.
August rain is warm and probably less of a problem on a human powered bike than on a faster moving machine.

What I found facinating on the outer isles was riding through what looked like a mountain landscape, but it was only about 20 feet above sea level.

Now I have been there I don't think I would rush back to the Uists, I think a good trip would be to just go over from Uig for one night and explore Harris, which is in my opinion by far the best bit of the outer hebridees.

snorri

Legendary Member
Apart from the weather, there are fewer tourists around in May and June, so less pressure on the limited tourist accommodation and facilities. Midgies are definitely an issue in the Islands^_^.

Top Bottom