Surely it's obvious I'm a cyclist?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Auntie Helen said:
So there I was, cycling back from a pub lunch with a walking group (I couldn't actually do the walk as I had an appointment earlier) when I passed a Somerfield attached to a petrol station. I needed to buy some bread so I popped in.

As I approached the cashier wearing my bib tights, CycleChat jersey, gloves, helmet, CycleChat buff and sunglasses, with my Trice Sidepods slung over my shoulder, trailing a bunch of bike lock keys, the woman rang up the cost of the baguette and then asked me, "Any petrol?"

I thought you rode a recumbent, Auntie?

They're not classed as cyclists are they?:angry:

OP
OP
Auntie Helen

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
rich p said:
I thought you rode a recumbent, Auntie?

They're not classed as cyclists are they?:angry:
Ah, but she didn't see the trike, just the woman doing the whole Lycra thing.

thomas

the tank engine
I've had friends who forgot to offer to help pack and the customer started fussing about poor customer service - jeez...just ask!

To be fair though, those sorts of jobs are so low skilled and heartless that you leave your brain outside.

In all fairness to the assistant, have you never driven in cycle gear/not changed after a ride you've driven to?

Bman

Guru
I get that most days when I pop into my local petrol station before/after work.

"Any fuel"

Nevermind. Its the kinda job you do without thinking.

PaulB said:
Talking about supermarkets and common sense, why does the cashier ALWAYS ask "do you need any help with your packing" regardless of what's been bought? Last week, a young, fit guy in front of me at the checkout at ASDA was asked this same question by the checkout boy. His entire purchase? A pack of three light bulbs and nothing else!

they get in trouble if they don't offer to help but someone wants them to.

DJ

Formerly known as djtheglove
Even dense and stupid people need to work somewhere! It is up to the clever people to gently guide them, or just be more tolerant and thank your lucky stars you don't have to do those jobs.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Auntie Helen said:
Somehow there's quite a big difference between my physiognomy and that of the ladies posted in that thread

I confess I had to look that one up! It seems to mean discerning someones character from their face!

OP
OP
Auntie Helen

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
You're right, rich p, I always mix up physiognomy and whatever-that-other-word-is-that-refers-to-physical-appearance.

Someone above made a very valid point, however, that I could be driving on my way to a cycle ride somewhere (I recall wearing full lycra gear at a service station on the M20 on the way to a Bromley Cyclists' ride). However I do think it would be a bit odd to wear a cycling helmet whilst in the car!

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Auntie Helen said:
You're right, rich p, I always mix up physiognomy and whatever-that-other-word-is-that-refers-to-physical-appearance.

Someone above made a very valid point, however, that I could be driving on my way to a cycle ride somewhere (I recall wearing full lycra gear at a service station on the M20 on the way to a Bromley Cyclists' ride). However I do think it would be a bit odd to wear a cycling helmet whilst in the car!

Can't be too careful!

Physiology?

OP
OP
Auntie Helen

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Not sure if that's physiology - that always makes me think of one's innards (like bloodstream and other systems) rather than physical appearance. I'm sure there's another word...

Dannyg said:
Sounds like she was on automatic pilot.

Also in my experience Somerfields recruit the densest staff on earth - hopefully this will improve now that the chain has been taken over by the Co-op.
Never been into a Somerfields but if the till staff are as slow as the telly advert makes out then I don't want to bother thank you.

Top Bottom