Surface Dressing: Grrrrr

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/kick-in-the-asphalt-1

Is North Somerset still has bad as it was for spreading the chipping so thin that you can see the ridges in the thinly-sprayed tar, or has it joined Norfolk and others in leaving an inch thickness of skid fodder?

Saluki

World class procrastinator
https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/kick-in-the-asphalt-1

Is North Somerset still has bad as it was for spreading the chipping so thin that you can see the ridges in the thinly-sprayed tar, or has it joined Norfolk and others in leaving an inch thickness of skid fodder?
Norfolk does seem particularly bad for it. I think they have a surplus of the chippings and spread them where people like to cycle

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I encountered a particularly scary example a couple of years ago on a steep local descent. I rode down round a bend and was suddenly faced by chippings all over the road. Trying to stay upright when braking and steering was a very difficult task which had my bike slaloming all over the place ... :eek:

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
They just surface dressed about 2 miles of road on one of the most popular cycling routes around here. I drove down it in the car last week and it was like drIving on marbles. God only knows what it would be like on a bike.
It's going to be several weeks before it's safe to ride down there again.

bianchi1

Guru
Worcestershire seem have got it sorted. Roads are dressed, brushed, brushed again and are good to ride on in less than 24 hours. No loose chippings to speak of and I would guess add some life to the surface.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Even worse is what they've done in Windsor Great Park. I initially thought it was surface break up when I was up the Monday. The roads have a layer of fine, almost sand like gravel on them. It's being spread by a grit spreader on the back of a tractor, and makes the roads very slippery indeed, so much care going round corners.
I have no idea why they are doing it.

Not limited to the uk, came across a stretch on the ascent of the Sarenne, ended up pushing as the grad was too steep to get traction! Glad i wasn't descending.:angry:

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
Even worse is what they've done in Windsor Great Park. I initially thought it was surface break up when I was up the Monday. The roads have a layer of fine, almost sand like gravel on them. It's being spread by a grit spreader on the back of a tractor, and makes the roads very slippery indeed, so much care going round corners.
I have no idea why they are doing it.
Previous problems with the tarmac melting in the heat?

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
There are several roads around here that I'm currently avoiding due to the dreaded dressing, usually with at least twice the chippings that are required.

And then we got a letter from the council advising that our street is going to be done soon with work lasting 4 weeks(!), so I won't even be able to get out of the house without encountering it! We're away for the first week of the scheduled works though, so hopefully they'll start at our end of the road...

screenman

Legendary Member
They filled a pot hole once around here, it came out again though. The favourite in this area seems to be dressing the roads very seldom used, one I know of has been done 3 times in five year.

Vegan1

What's wrong with surface dressing? I love the cackling noise my tyres make when going over the stuff, the same sort of sound as the opening scene in T2.

Top Bottom