Surface Dressing: Grrrrr

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Load of bollocks and I hate it, it's in full swing round here at the moment, had to get off and walk down a hill earlier in the week the loose chippings must have been about an inch deep in places :cursing:

19420492_10203345571595304_7418100207381721631_n.jpg

Drago

Legendary Member
I love trip to A and E, so corner as fast as I can on surface dressing.

I also don't feel that I'm paying anywhere near enough council tax, so while it brings a temporary new surface I love that it ultimately introduces an abrasive new medium which vehicles use to grind away the road surface beneath.

What's not to like?

screenman

Legendary Member
I love trip to A and E, so corner as fast as I can on surface dressing.

I also don't feel that I'm paying anywhere near enough council tax, so while it brings a temporary new surface I love that it ultimately introduces an abrasive new medium which vehicles use to grind away the road surface beneath.

What's not to like?

Beetroot.

Archeress

Veteran
Hate surface dressing here too. At least now I have a choice between a roadie or an mtb which I've never had before.

Take care, hugs
Archeress x

Buck

Guru
Around here it's surface dressings galore!

Hate the stuff - even in a car its bad on a bike it's horrendous and it doesn't last so why oh why?!

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Heard strange noise outside just now at 0856 Sunday. Looking out there is a sweeper doing my street about a month after surface dressing. They appear to be doing this all over just now. Mebbe chips and tar are going cheap just now on special offer.

Sandra6

Veteran
They did this recently, one road after another until they were all done.
It was only a short stretch of road for me so I just took the pavement:blush:

Gixxerman

Guru
Same here in Lincolnshire. We have usual numerous annual surface dressing events, no doubt sponsored by Autoglass. My work colleague had his windscreen cracked by a lorry going silly speeds in the opposite carriageway on the A15. There was a section on my commute to work on the A46. So I chose to drive a different back road route for a couple of weeks to save my paintwork and windscreen. Another friend got her windscreen cracked on the same A46 section. It is all well and good the contractors putting up 20 mph signs. However, even when the majority adhere to them, it doesn't stop the odd selfish / ignorant idiot driving at warp speed and overtaking you / or comming the other way and taking out your windscreen. I can think of no good reason why they cannot clean up the excess chippings a few hours after they have laid them, instead of the usual practice of leaving them for 2-odd weeks and letting the traffic sweep them up. The whole exercise is almost futile anyhow as it lasts less than a year on heavily used roads. They should amas a few years budget (by spending in advance or saving unused budget from previous years) and do a proper resurfacing job with decent tarmac. However, local government financing being what it is, it probably is not possible to implement as they seem to have the "use it or lose it" bugetting model. Surface dressing is false economy IMHO; It would be cheaper and better in the long term to do it properly once every 10 years than a hopeless effort every 2.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
It is all well and good the contractors putting up 20 mph signs. However, even when the majority adhere to them, it doesn't stop the odd selfish / ignorant idiot driving at warp speed and overtaking you / or comming the other way and taking out your windscreen.
There's such an obvious solution to that: install temporary average speed cameras, fine the speeders and make them pay extra for any damaged windscreens or paintwork.

Top Bottom