Surface Dressing :-(

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bpsmith

Veteran
Got half way around Gower this afternoon, taking my Brother for his first ride over a local climb called Cefn Bryn. There’s a lovely start via Bury Green up over Church Meadow, which takes you up over Cefn Bryn and then a lovely long descent down the other side.

They’ve only gone and surface dressed it with the he worst, cheapest, loose gravel clippings they could find. This stuff was piled on and loads of it in clumps of dangerous looseness. On getting to the bottom, they had done every possible road Home.

This is one of my favourite routes that is now a no cycling zone. Absolutely gutted! :sad:

DRM

Guru
I hate the stuff, it’s easy for a wheel to slide out from under you & you can’t see any potholes till you’re on them

Road going out of town has just had this done, there were roadsweepers there today brushing all the loose up, not nice when drivers speed over it and spit out stones and a cloud of dust, not to mention the road sweepers and the dust.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
They did Castley Lane last week, which the TdY will be going down next week....
Hopefully they'll have it sorted and bedded inby then.
In happier news, another local road was due to get surface dressed but hasn't been done. Oh dear...

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
Was watching the Tour of Croatia last week thinking how lovely the countryside is with beautiful tarmac.

Went down Gower for the lovely countryside, but clearly not the road surface.

Good for all of you above too.

dodgy

I hate the stuff!

In Ireland, they have a technique whereby they roll the gravel into the tarmac, creating the draggiest surface known to man, as a result there are some places where you have to pedal down hill or else you slow down:thumbsdown:

Presumably results in more fuel being used by cars. Not great in the greater scheme of things.

Milzy

Guru
They have just done all my local favourite routes with the same. :sad:

simon.r

Person
Surface dressing is a quick, relatively cheap way to seal damaged roads in an attempt to reduce future potholing (by stopping water getting into the road, then freezing).

I suspect, but will stand correcting, that the chippings thrown in after the sealant has been laid are a necessary evil to provide some skid resistance (for cars, obviously:rolleyes:)

Top Bottom