Surly LHT

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
steveindenmark

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
But very popular and get very good reviews by all accounts.

Steve

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
Oh Im sure they are good solid tourers...my only experience was in America watching American tourers on those ...I rode one in Missoula Montanna and compared to my Galaxy it was like a tank.

P.H

Über Member
Oh Im sure they are good solid tourers...my only experience was in America watching American tourers on those ...I rode one in Missoula Montanna and compared to my Galaxy it was like a tank.
There could be many reasons for that, but I doubt frame weight was one of them. Any decent double butted steel frame designed to carry a touring weight is going to weigh around the same, somewhere in the region of 3.2 - 3.6 kg. I recall reading that the difference in frame weight between the plain 631 Galaxy and the top end 853 version was less than 200g. A CTC review of the 631 Galaxy has the bike weight as 13.75kg (55cm) the LHT frameset is 3.36kg with a long steerer, it's going to weigh around the same with similar components.

Last edited:

P.H

Über Member
As for the original question... I think Vernon has it right, it's no different to building up any other bike, import a frame and either get it built up by your favorite LBS or do it yourself. if you do the latter you could get the frame supplier to fit the headset, the rest you can do with normal maintenance tools. If you do want to import a complete bike I'll second the recommendation for Brixton Cycles.

OP
OP
steveindenmark

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Thanks for your input guys. I will do some more research into the LHT and the Galaxy but it never easy to Call because nobody is ever going to say that they wished they had bought the other bike. Trying them out is not an option as we dont have those bikes in Denmark.

As it is at the moment we are going to Tour the outer hebrides next summer. Jannies Trek Lexa SL and my Koga World Traveller has plenty enough carrying capacity for our light loads.

I will keep looking and am sure the right bike will turn up for our needs.

Steve

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
I'll put my thruppence in..... (and I haven't got either bike, so perhaps I'm a little objective).

I think both the Galaxy and the LHT sound like good bikes to me -I have a feeling you can't go wrong with either of them. I think the best thing is to just get out and see if it's possible to try a touring bike for fit and feel -but since you can't do that, that makes it tough. Maybe just go on your gut instinct on this one? (e.g. maybe there's a particular spec you see you like on one compared to the other, maybe the type of shifter on one is different from the other, etc) Both seem to have a really nice pedigree and are more than capable.

Of course I'd recommend an older steel Dawes Sardar for touring if you can find one -but that's because I have one and love it! Good luck!

Thanks for your input guys. I will do some more research into the LHT and the Galaxy.... Trying them out is not an option as we dont have those bikes in Denmark.
Steve

OP
OP
steveindenmark

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Gravity Aided.....i am not buying Jannie anything that sounds as though it belongs on Star Trek.

We will be travelling at warp speed.

Steve

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Gravity Aided.....i am not buying Jannie anything that sounds as though it belongs on Star Trek.

We will be travelling at warp speed.

Steve
Never thought of that before. Mrs GA -Trekkie, but from the movies, original Tv show before her time, says that it indeed sounds like a phenomenon noted in Star Trek. I liked the Tv show rather more than most of the movies. Jamis does sound nicer than Surly. IMO.

wbcycle

Spa Cycles in Harrogate UK sell Surly LHT frames and will build the bike with the components you want. I bought a frame and all the components, then put it together myself just because I fancied the idea of building my own bike. Although it is a little heavier than I expected it rides well and has done tours to Sicily, Albania and 2 to Sri Lanka without any problems.

OP
OP
steveindenmark

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Wbcycle , thanks for that but I am in Denmark. I am glad to hear that it rides well and does the job. I suspekt the LHT and the Galaxy both do.

Steve

buddha

Veteran
Very pleased with my Surly Disc Trucker (same as LHT - but takes disc brakes). Handles predictably, even when fully loaded. Which is probably down to the long wheelbase.
Obviously it's 'heavy' in comparison when being picked up, but while riding I don't notice a significant difference.

I bought the frameset from Triton Cycles. And would have taken no more than an afternoon to build up, if I'd have had the foresight to get all the bits in one go (like the correct downtube cable stops/adjusters). My first proper build from scratch, and I encountered nothing out of the ordinary.

jeffpoulin

www.bike-components.de sells Surly frames (including the LHT, disc trucker, and trucker deluxe). I believe there is a brick and mortar store behind the internet facade, so if you order the parts too, they could probably build something up for you. In any case, it's a great shop for bike tourists. I have no interest in the company other than being a regular customer.

Top Bottom