Surly Nice Rack or Tubus Cosmo

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

e-rider

crappy member
Hi,

Anyone here using a Surly nice rack (rear)?

Are they worth the massive price tag? Steel construction looks to be much better than alloy for carry heavy loads, that's why I'm interested in it. Tubus also make a stainless steel rack for about the same price - which is best?

Do they fit 26" mtb frame/wheels well? If I spend this much cash on a rack I want it to fit really well!

andrew_s

Legendary Member
I'd doubt you'd notice any difference. Pannier hooks wear the paint away and the steel can rust (usually if you try to cover the worn patch), so there's some advantage in stainless. I'd probably pick the Tubus as the height adjustment on the Surly strikes me as being something extra to go wrong. I use a Tubus Cargo as there wasn't much else in the way of tubular steel racks at the time.
You could also look at the Madison stainless rack that SJSC are selling for £40. It looks OK, except for the hook attachment point at the bottom possibly wearing your pannier.

Bodhbh

Guru
I have the Tubus Logo on my MTB, which is the same design as the Cargo but steel rather than stainless. It fits fine although I'm using the QR skewer attachment as I have discs. Not much to say I guess unless it breaks, it's held loads of ~20kg on the back steady enuff on and off-road while the back wheel was popping spokes.

Aluminium, but I have an OMM lowrider on the front, which is absolutely rocksolid - I think I'd try one of their back racks if the Tubus ever broke.

http://www.oldmanmountain.com/
http://www.carradice.co.uk/racks-and-attachments/index.html

Joe

Über Member
I'd go with the Tubus based on the fact that they have an excellent reputation for durability, strength and ease of fitting. The Cargo is also significantly lighter than the Surly so unless you need the extra few kilos of carrying capacity it seems the best choice.
I have no experience with either mind;)

Top Bottom