Surprising successes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
What things have you bought with low expectations, only to find them to be really useful?

On a whim, I added some Finish Line Gear Floss to my basket when buying some stuff on line. It's a sort of fat string for cleaning between sprockets. I expected it to be a bit of a pointless gimmick, but now I'm a fan of the stuff. Now, I know it's not essential, I know that a bit of string, or a rag torn into strips, or an old bootlace or pipecleaner may do the job, but not necessarily as well.

Also, my 50/11 top gear. "I'll never use that, way too high for me" I thought when I bought the bike. But I do use it, quite a lot. Now, I know it's not essential, and please let's not have a long discussion on cadence, but I'm very happy it's there.

Last edited:

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Arm warmers from Lidl. They were only a fiver, and (having previously taken the mickey out of my friend's (more expensive) ones) I thought I'd give them a go. For spring and autumn rides, I won't leave home without them now!

PenttitheFinn

I find old socks or even my wife's old tights are good for cleaning in tight places. I also never throw toothbrushes out, as a piece of cloth over them can get into places my fingers can't.

2IT

Everything and everyone suffers in comparisons.
What things have you bought with low expectations, only to find them to be really useful?

Like many others, the least expensive items can be the most pleasant surprises. The more expensive, the harder it is for me to justify afterwards especially when thinking of how many meals or beers I could have bought.

Old t-shirts or undershirts have been great for cleaning the bike. Years of use.
Leg warmers are way better and cheaper than tights.
Almost spent $25 on a cycling cap for under the helmet to keep sweat off my eyes and instead bought a thin "women's" sweat band for $2 that works.
Bought some winter under layers at the thrift shop - wool is wool.
Have used rubberized garden gloves for riding down to 10C. Easy to wash. Eventually will use them in the garden.

While I like more expensive stuff, it maybe years before I really like them for their value. Most of the above are clothes or cleaning, I don't go cheap on shorts or hardware, just the software.

PS buy on sale. deeeeply discounted.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I tried a cycling cap under the helmet and found that I needed to raise my head by a couple of degrees to see under the peak, which made my neck ache.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Old cotton T-shirts are the business for cleaning drive chains !!!

OP
OP
Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Old cotton T-shirts are the business for cleaning drive chains !!!
Not between the sprockets they aren't. ;)

<salesman>Try some washable, reusable gear floss. Only a fiver for 20. A packet will last ages.</salesman>

I'm a convert, in case you hadn't guessed.

Oddly enough arm warmers (@Fnaar) and cycle caps (@Ihatehills) have not had the same damascene effect on me.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Not between the sprockets they aren't. ;)

<salesman>Try some washable, reusable gear floss. Only a fiver for 20. A packet will last ages.</salesman>

I'm a convert, in case you hadn't guessed.

Oddly enough arm warmers (@Fnaar) and cycle caps (@Ihatehills) have not had the same damascene effect on me.

Between the sprockets and chain rings is where I use T shirts all the time. Just fold in two... Have you seen my cassette ?

DSCF2695.jpg

Top Bottom