Surrey Hills

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
wow, although more or less on my doorstep I have never ventured Dorking way and thought I would today. Apart from getting tangled with a Sportive the sheer numbers of cyclists on a Sunday morning was a real eye opener. The smell of testosterone and ego filled the air and bling bike and even more bling cycle kit aplenty.

Quite enjoyed it barring getting caught out on Pebble Hill letting my Garmin take me home. Wished I had done the whole experience and gone up Boxhill, probably would have been easier!

Not sure I will rush back though

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I love having them on my doorstep. Shame i'm not any good at climbing hills :sad:

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Box hill is always busy. for both cyclists and motorists on the weekends.
The best time is to go during the week, then you can actually get a table at the top and have a bite to eat.

As Ian said, if you want tough climbs there are some a bit further down. Titsey, Warwick Wold, Chalkpit Lane and the ones going up to biggin hill are good as well.

oldroadman

Veteran
Then when you get the time, the Chilterns just west of London have some interesting climbs. Route of the old Archer GP has some steady ones and about 2km of real piggjy stuff near Princes Risborough

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
For steeper gradients, go for White Ln (East of Titsey). Ranmore Common, from the Westhumble side (bad surface though), & Whitedown Ln. Box is a reasonable drag with decent views and a cpl of nice switchbacks. The gradient is very steady all the way up, so it's a nice one to practice on. RE: The Beacon, I had the dis-pleasure of Ditchling Yesterday and struggled big time, having not done it since late summer and being 10Kg heavier at the mo!

ayceejay

Guru
The gradient (on Box Hill) is very steady all the way up, so it's a nice one to practice on - I agree.
If you have an MTB or crosser try this: cycle towards Westcott from Dorking (A24) continue through Westcott (Coast Hill is short but steep) towards Abinger Hammer. Turn right between the Hammer and the Arms and go up the rise and down the other side, cross the RR line when the road runs out and follow the track upwards. You cannot ride up this hill.
Now there is a challenge.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
The gradient (on Box Hill) is very steady all the way up, so it's a nice one to practice on - I agree.
If you have an MTB or crosser try this: cycle towards Westcott from Dorking (A24) continue through Westcott (Coast Hill is short but steep) towards Abinger Hammer. Turn right between the Hammer and the Arms and go up the rise and down the other side, cross the RR line when the road runs out and follow the track upwards. You cannot ride up this hill.
Now there is a challenge.
Sounds like a challenge but can you provide a geo-cord location, or a link to google maps so those of us that don't know the area well enough to follow your directions can actually find it.

vickster

Legendary Member
I think it may be the A25 that goes from dorking through westcott towards Guildford - if its the same road I drove along a couple of weeks ago :smile:. The A24 basically goes from London to dorking

Reactions: gaz
Sounds like a challenge but can you provide a geo-cord location, or a link to google maps so those of us that don't know the area well enough to follow your directions can actually find it.

I think ayceejay is referring to Hackhurst Lane - in my fitter days this was a very tough, but doable climb.

Here's a map (keep heading north once the asphalt runs out and where there's a fork, take the track to the left): https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=ha...hurst+Ln,+Surrey+RH5,+United+Kingdom&t=m&z=16

Top Bottom