Surrey Hills

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I think ayceejay is referring to Hackhurst Lane - in my fitter days this was a very tough, but doable climb.

Here's a map (keep heading north once the asphalt runs out and where there's a fork, take the track to the left): https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=hackhurst lane, abinger hammer&hl=en&ll=51.218793,-0.431492&spn=0.012795,0.026157&sll=51.220706,-0.430474&sspn=0.025696,0.052314&hnear=Hackhurst Ln, Surrey RH5, United Kingdom&t=m&z=16
So up past the left of the farm and over the railway, then follow the path through the tree line between the fields?

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Also an OS extract: http://binged.it/19UyZA6
Plenty of brutal climbs to be had in all directions!
That's awesome, loads of bridleways to cycle around there :smile:

ayceejay

Guru
That's it Simon, thanks. There used to be a couple of sign posts at a certain point and once up there you can turn right for a track over Ranmore to Dorking or left to Guildford, although you will meet some 'civilization' this way!
For the literary inclined: on the brow of the hill on Hackhurst Lane there is a drive to the left, at the end of this drive is the house EM Forster lived in and he would travel these paths on a donkey.

katymac

I think Box Hill was extra busy on Sunday because it was on the route of London Revolution - which might account for the smell of testosterone in the air! It's a much nicer climb than Pebble Hill though, even when mobbed with cyclists. The roads on the other side of Dorking, around Shere, Abinger, Forest Green and Leith Hill are lovely, with lots of good climbs.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
That's it Simon, thanks. There used to be a couple of sign posts at a certain point and once up there you can turn right for a track over Ranmore to Dorking or left to Guildford, although you will meet some 'civilization' this way!
For the literary inclined: on the brow of the hill on Hackhurst Lane there is a drive to the left, at the end of this drive is the house EM Forster lived in and he would travel these paths on a donkey.

Did Eeyore-ways travel that way?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Surrey 'ills is my playground on- and off-road. Someone should organise a forum ride. Time, perhaps, to resurrected "Legs of Lead go west"?

OP
OP
Andrew_P

Andrew_P

In between here and there
I think Box Hill was extra busy on Sunday because it was on the route of London Revolution - which might account for the smell of testosterone in the air! It's a much nicer climb than Pebble Hill though, even when mobbed with cyclists. The roads on the other side of Dorking, around Shere, Abinger, Forest Green and Leith Hill are lovely, with lots of good climbs.
Yup definitely enhanced by the Sportive, I have to admit that from Purley to Reigate to Dorking I had a nice tailishwind and got caught in the moment and spent the whole time riding fairly fast.

Then once on the A25 the ego took further hold so blasted along there, when I decided it was home time and double backed and up Pebblecombe the whole approach to the hill was made while holding up traffic (sportive coming the other way) So I was giving it the beans on the two three ups and downs before the climb, when I hit the hill I had barely anything in tank, with hindsight that was a big mistake and felt the penalty for it this morning on my commute lol

katymac

So I was giving it the beans on the two three ups and downs before the climb, when I hit the hill I had barely anything in tank, with hindsight that was a big mistake and felt the penalty for it this morning on my commute lol

Well at least you made it up the hill - running out steam half-way up with a queue of traffic behind you wouldn't have been fun!

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
Boxhill is a mere pimple as far as hills go. It's not hard at all, just popular as there really is not much in the way of BIG hills in the south east, also because of the Olympic RR course.

As others have said, the Chiltern's and Coltswold's are not far and they have a greater variety of climbs. For bigger climbs go west to Wales or North to Yorkshire...............or off to France, it's not far away.

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
Like Ditchling, Boxhill has a rep for being a very tough climb. It's not. For tough try Ranmore or Leith.

I was out with some of my young friends a few weeks ago, and some of the hills we hit on the way to Box Hill were much tougher (maybe not as long, but far steeper). I was able to steadily grind up Box Hill at 11mph on my hybrid without too much trouble..

Top Bottom