suspension or not

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mastic

Hi all, new to the site but been reading quite a bit over the last week or two on here. Me and the wife bought our 1st bike in October last year from Halfords (seen the advert and got the bug). We bought the Apollo Feud and the Apollo Illusion for the wife. Love riding about and decided its time to buy a hybrid. Went over to my LBS Shepherds Cycles and Paul advised us on the Python Quantum 8000 range for our budget. We are looking at buying in August after our holiday but which model do we go for. The 1st is the 8000 without suspension which is £210 and the 8100 as suspension which is 8100 £275. All me and the wife do is go out on small rides around the town and onto the local canal towpath. We normally do 10 miles but smashed a GLORIOUS LEG ACHING 15 today lol. What would you advise, would we get much use out of the suspension. I do commute to work daily but its less than a mile but go the long way round to make it 2 miles. So no heavy use. Thanks in advance Jay and Sue

MikeW-71

Veteran
:welcome:

For that kind of use I think you're better off without the suspension. At that price point it barely does anything anyway, and it's just extra weight to drag around.

Enjoy! :bicycle:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Hi and :welcome: Mastic.

Personally I'd advise against suspension in that price range as it adds weight but isn't that effective. Looking at the specs of that bike, it has relatively wide tyres 700x38c so will cope fine with light off road use if they are run at about 60psi.

vickster

Legendary Member
If not going properly off road, suspension especially on a budget bike will just add unnecessary weight and make cycling all the harder. Go without for roads and towpaths

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I'm riding an old fully rigid MTB and love flying down the odd farm track or bridal way, bumping through cart ruts, bouncing over boulders, branches and roots, but I've never felt the need for suspension as i spend 95% of my time on tarmac. Spend the £65 on beer... you won't regret it.

I'm riding an old fully rigid MTB and love flying down the odd farm track or bridal way, bumping through cart ruts, bouncing over boulders, branches and roots, but I've never felt the need for suspension as i spend 95% of my time on tarmac. Spend the £65 on beer... you won't regret it.

I used to race MTBs, in the days before suspension became popular (Rock-Shox & Pace were just bring forks out therm), we didn't need it (neither do Cyclo-Cross racers)

No, you don't need it, at all!

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I used to race MTBs, in the days before suspension became popular (Rock-Shox & Pace were just bring forks out therm), we didn't need it (neither do Cyclo-Cross racers)

No, you don't need it, at all!
Pre MTB days of childhood ...
attachment.php?attachmentid=127031&stc=1&d=1234034667.jpg

Dave7

Legendary Member
As others have said............really better off without the suspension.
Myself & a friend do the Transpenine way.......he had an old full size "hybrid" without suspension and has no problems.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Supension at that price will be heavy and useless. I gave up on suspension a few years ago on my mountain bike and fitted rigid forks, which makes the bike much lighter and faster and more reliable in the long run.

Top Bottom