Suspension problem.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DEFENDER01

Über Member
Hi my mate has a Carrera kraken m t b.
has a problem with front suspension when i pulled the gaiter off i found this is it a easy fix.?
And is it ok to keep using as it is.?
upload_2019-8-25_11-39-19.png

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You need new seals as a minimum, but they might not be easy to get given age of fork. Dirt and water have probably already got in, so maybe budget for new forks.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You'll have to dismantle the fork to effect a replacement of the guide/seal, plus you'll have to source the part. I don't know what availability might be. Maybe a good second hand replacement is a better option?

Last edited:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Why would it not be OK to continue using? He's been lugging all that useless weight around for zero benefit and that won't change.

He'd do better to buy some suspension-compensated rigid eXotic carbon forks from Carbon Components, the bike will lose several pounds in weight and the ride will probably be smoother and definitely better handling.

OP
OP
DEFENDER01

DEFENDER01

Über Member
Why would it not be OK to continue using? He's been lugging all that useless weight around for zero benefit and that won't change.

He'd do better to buy some suspension-compensated rigid eXotic carbon forks from Carbon Components, the bike will lose several pounds in weight and the ride will probably be smoother and definitely better handling.

Well to be fair if its ok to use as it is and its probably been like that for some time its not worth the expense of changing them.
Best to run it and bin it when its time comes. :okay:

OP
OP
DEFENDER01

DEFENDER01

Über Member

It's horses for courses this is a mountain bike and gets a bit of off road use the replacements you recommend wouldn't be up to the job or they would be a factory fit.:whistle:

Globalti

Legendary Member
A rigid carbon fork is as good as a cheap sprung fork in soaking up trail shock. Manufacturers don't fit rigid forks to "mountain" bikes because the buying public expect a "mountain" bike to have sprung forks, no matter how dire the quality. This means that people end up struggling with overweight bikes fitted with useless suspension, which becomes more and more of a useless burden as they seize up and stop working. It's all about looks and styling.

When mountain biking began to arrive on the scene in the 80s all the bikes were fully rigid with triple chainset and rim brakes.

Top Bottom