Suspension seat post

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dirtyhanz2

Hi all
I am looking for opions on suspension seat post for touring and the effect on comfort
I have accidentally ended up with one I don't know much about them I bought a brooks seat off Ebay and it came with no mention of it in the advert
So I thought I would just give it a go it's quite heavy it's a suntour model I have been amazed how comfortable it is it really does smooth bumps out I did 50 miles on it at the weekend and it was lovely
I think this one is the cheaper end of the market I am thinking I might look at upgrading it to a lighter model i have been told look at redshift or cane creek does any one have any options these models or any others

Hi all
I am looking for opions on suspension seat post for touring and the effect on comfort
I have accidentally ended up with one I don't know much about them I bought a brooks seat off Ebay and it came with no mention of it in the advert
So I thought I would just give it a go it's quite heavy it's a suntour model I have been amazed how comfortable it is it really does smooth bumps out I did 50 miles on it at the weekend and it was lovely
I think this one is the cheaper end of the market I am thinking I might look at upgrading it to a lighter model i have been told look at redshift or cane creek does any one have any options these models or any others
There was a recent discussion in the E bike forum I think.

My experience is minimal having had a cheapy suspension post on my old hybrid. Like a lot of that price range it developed a left to right "swivel".

When putting my current bike together I did look at the top end of the market but couldn't part with the asking prices!^_^Lighter means much more expensive! And a cheaper one on tour with eventual degrading wasn't an option.

It's not clear from your post but was that ride on a new saddle and post? If so, it's possible the comfort was from the saddle too?

You could do your research then sit back and wait. Old models can often be sold cheaply to make way for new ones!

OP
OP
D

Dirtyhanz2

There was a recent discussion in the E bike forum I think.

My experience is minimal having had a cheapy suspension post on my old hybrid. Like a lot of that price range it developed a left to right "swivel".

When putting my current bike together I did look at the top end of the market but couldn't part with the asking prices!^_^Lighter means much more expensive! And a cheaper one on tour with eventual degrading wasn't an option.

It's not clear from your post but was that ride on a new saddle and post? If so, it's possible the comfort was from the saddle too?

You could do your research then sit back and wait. Old models can often be sold cheaply to make way for new ones!
Yeah it was on a new brooks seat I have always used brooks b17 seats so I am quit use to how they ride it definitely felt more comfortable I was a bit concerned about it bobbing about but it didn't at all for me it seems to work

I don't see weight as a problem on a tourer. If you like the current one I would use it until it goes (it almost certainly will) and then just replace with a conventional post. For most bikes I consider them a waste of time. I did have one that came with a dale - never really missed it after it packed in. Keep things simple I say.

Last edited:

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
These things can cause havoc with your knees in my experience. Better to have the appropriately setup conventional seat post with correct and consistent height. Maybe take a little pressure out of rear tyre if it is within the appropriate operating parameters?

These things can cause havoc with your knees in my experience. Better to have the appropriately setup conventional seat post with correct and consistent height. Maybe take a little pressure out of rear tyre if it is within the appropriate operating parameters?
agree and any big bumps can be handled by some appropriate rising above the saddle. The human body (and pneumatic tyres) are very adaptable, even on the fly.

All uphill

Still rolling along
I had one on a Trek hybrid; when I realised how much it weighed I replaced with an alloy post.

I could feel a slight difference in ride comfort, but not enough to be bothered putting back the suspension post. Instead, when the tyres wore out I replaced them with better ones; that made a huge improvement to ride comfort.

Of course it's your money but for what it's worth it's a very rare day that I wish I had a bit of suspension in the saddle.

This morning, appropriately enough, was one - washboard, rocks and lots of dips combined with a dicky belly.

Apologies for the gratuitous photo😊

Top Bottom