Suspension seat posts???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If you are getting one don't by cheap. A cheap one IME doesn't absorb impacts correctly and you end up injuring your knees :-(
TBH though personally I would never consider one for a road bike.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I had one that was fitted as standard on a Claud Butler hybrid a few years ago. I didn't notice any difference with it over my other bikes with standard posts. I've never bothered with one since & cant say I miss it.

vickster

Legendary Member
Why on a road bike? I know British roads can be pretty crap, but decent bar tape, good gel gloves, padded shorts and a carbon fork mostly suffices (especially on a steel frame ;) )

OP
OP
cuske

cuske

Regular
Why on a road bike? I know British roads can be pretty crap, but decent bar tape, good gel gloves, padded shorts and a carbon fork mostly suffices (especially on a steel frame ;) )

To save my lower back, where I go out in the lincolnshire wolds there are some horrible roads. I thought one of these may help a little.

KneesUp

Guru

Because it's cheaper and less bother as well as longer lasting than good bar tape, gel gloves, padded shorts and a replacement fork?

vickster

Legendary Member
But do they work...I was told they are rubbish! Carbon seat post may help but those come with their own difficulties

Good gloves and better tape - £50 max. Granted a steel frame and the fork may cost, OP may have those already however!

Gloves, tape and shorts benefit other parts of the anatomy, not just lower back. The poster actually never mentioned his back first off

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
To save my lower back, where I go out in the lincolnshire wolds there are some horrible roads. I thought one of these may help a little.
I can't believe the roads are worse that in London! Just staying away from the gutter may help. Road surface shouldn't have too much effect on the back if your bike is all the right size and adjusted to fit. A roadbike may not be ideal if you actually have a mechanical back issue

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
aren't the angles going to be wrong on a road bike for it to be effective? More bodyweight is going to be thrown forward of the downtube and resting more on the bars whilst the seatpost is going to be acting in a much more upright manner onto less bulk than with a sit up & beg position. I suspect the post wouldn't be loaded properly to give much impact cushioning. Could be wrong tho.

KneesUp

Guru
I can't believe the roads are worse that in London! Just staying away from the gutter may help. Road surface shouldn't have too much effect on the back if your bike is all the right size and adjusted to fit. A roadbike may not be ideal if you actually have a mechanical back issue
You should come and visit Sheffield sometime - I used to ride my road bike when I lived in Cheam, but the one time I've tried it here it just felt dangerous.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/sheffield-roads-are-worst-in-the-country-1-4621138

KneesUp

Guru
Article says £2bn is about to be invested. But won't get rid of the hills!

They've spent a fair bit on making the TdF route smooth. Not one single road in my (admittedly short) commute is of acceptable quality. I've solved my 'I really want to ride' itch by buying a rigid mtb and am currently making a drop-bar thing out of an old steel hybrid, but I'm going way off topic now. My solution to the road bike being uncomfortable was not to ride it, which isn't ideal!

vickster

Legendary Member
Get something like a specialized crosstrail. Lock out forks and can add slimmer tyres if they improve the road. Or walk to work if commute short I guess

Top Bottom