Suspension Seatpost, Worth It?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spoons47

Afternoon All.
If you have time on your busy Friday evening, would welcome your thoughts!
Being as I do all road riding on my Hybrid I have swapped out front suspension for suspension corrected and have saved a massive kilo and a half.
So the bike also has a suspension seatpost it’s only a single bolt adjuster and also annoyingly moves from side to side. Given how Anal I am about saddle position and correct bike fit, also the bike that cost £625 new, would the seatpost be of a lower quality? I’m thinking to replace it with a standard one with 2 bolt adjuster to help with fine tuning saddle position.
Looking forward to replies to keep me company on a quiet night shift.
Cheers.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Get a carbon post from Carbon Components, it will weigh almost nothing and the flexibility will give you a smooth ride.

OP
OP
Spoons47

Spoons47

Thanks, do you mean Carbon Cycles? The website is pretty rubbish. I’ve ordered a cheap one from amazon mainly because of their excellent returns policy, so I can give it a try.

OP
OP
Spoons47

Spoons47

Thanks for responses so far. I’ll try the cheap amazon one tomorrow then can upgrade if I need to. You never know might get lucky only doing 50-60 miles a week! Plus there are plenty of branded secondhand ones out there.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I genuinely can't see why it would make a difference what the seatpost is made from. .

Nor can I. A seatpost is a seatpost, let's not overthink the issue here. I've got both alloy and steel ones on different steel bikes and the only difference is the alloy ones weigh less. Maybe we haven't received enough marketing brainwashing yet from the cycling industry, hence us still thinking that a seatpost is merely something that mounts your saddle on?.

OP
OP
Spoons47

Spoons47

I agree about the material it is made from. I just don’t want it moving from side to side and would really like to fine tune saddle position with a two belt adjustment.

Globalti

Legendary Member
A carbon or even alloy post will flex much more than a frame! It is unsecured at one end! If you ride behind somebody with a carbon post you'll see it flexing and on a mountain bike you'll feel it flex if you ride though a dip. Carbon is the ideal material for a seatpost.

Top Bottom