Suspension Seatpost, Worth It?

Discussion in 'General Cycling Discussions' started by Spoons47, 14 Sep 2018.

1. Spoons47

Spoons47 Well-Known Member

Afternoon All.
    If you have time on your busy Friday evening, would welcome your thoughts!
    Being as I do all road riding on my Hybrid I have swapped out front suspension for suspension corrected and have saved a massive kilo and a half.
    So the bike also has a suspension seatpost it’s only a single bolt adjuster and also annoyingly moves from side to side. Given how Anal I am about saddle position and correct bike fit, also the bike that cost £625 new, would the seatpost be of a lower quality? I’m thinking to replace it with a standard one with 2 bolt adjuster to help with fine tuning saddle position.
    Looking forward to replies to keep me company on a quiet night shift.
    Cheers.

2. Globalti

Globalti Legendary Member

Get a carbon post from Carbon Components, it will weigh almost nothing and the flexibility will give you a smooth ride.

tom73 likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Spoons47

Thanks, do you mean Carbon Cycles? The website is pretty rubbish. I’ve ordered a cheap one from amazon mainly because of their excellent returns policy, so I can give it a try.

4. MikeG

MikeG Veteran

I see what you did there.

I have it on one bike, not on the other. The only time I miss it is if I hit a pot hole. So, I came up with a plan: don't hit pot holes any more.

snorri and tom73 like this.
  5. OP
    OP
    Spoons47

Hee hee well spotted

6. AndyRM

AndyRM XOXO

Just get a standard seatpost. Doesn't have to be carbon or anything fancy, but it'll be better than one which wobbles around.

snorri likes this.
  7. Globalti

Denis99 likes this.
  8. Touch wood I've only had one knee injury in my cycling career and that was when I tried a suspension seat post so IMO replace.

Last edited: 14 Sep 2018
  9. OP
    OP
    Spoons47

Thanks for responses so far. I’ll try the cheap amazon one tomorrow then can upgrade if I need to. You never know might get lucky only doing 50-60 miles a week! Plus there are plenty of branded secondhand ones out there.

HLaB likes this.
  10. Spoked Wheels

Spoked Wheels Guru

I've got a CF seat post and I'd be lying if I said I can tell the difference with the others lol

Banjo likes this.
  11. tyred

tyred Legendary Member

I genuinely can't see why it would make a difference what the seatpost is made from. You may have perhaps 4"-8" of seatpost sticking out of the frame. Any possible flex will be minimal compared to other areas of the frame.

Alan O, Banjo and SkipdiverJohn like this.
  12. SkipdiverJohn

SkipdiverJohn Über Member

Nor can I. A seatpost is a seatpost, let's not overthink the issue here. I've got both alloy and steel ones on different steel bikes and the only difference is the alloy ones weigh less. Maybe we haven't received enough marketing brainwashing yet from the cycling industry, hence us still thinking that a seatpost is merely something that mounts your saddle on?.

Alan O and Banjo like this.
  13. OP
    OP
    Spoons47

I agree about the material it is made from. I just don’t want it moving from side to side and would really like to fine tune saddle position with a two belt adjustment.

14. OP
    OP
    Spoons47

Belt should read bolt.

15. Globalti

A carbon or even alloy post will flex much more than a frame! It is unsecured at one end! If you ride behind somebody with a carbon post you'll see it flexing and on a mountain bike you'll feel it flex if you ride though a dip. Carbon is the ideal material for a seatpost.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice