SUSTRAN1/Lea Valley cycle path

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

spindrift

miloat said:
Yep i know that pub can be dicey.
I used to live at the marina near there for a couiple of years.

A couple of years ago they had a "barbecue" outside the pub.

It was a tescos trolley turned upside down.

OP
OP
Tynan

Tynan

Veteran
the Hope and Anchor not a good one for my family stop for a quality beer and some snacks then?

Milo

Guru
The princess of wales on that very tow path just past the Lea bridge is tolerable yet expensive.
Used to be some good pubs on that river at one point.

OP
OP
Tynan

Tynan

Veteran
broxbourne?

that's a fair old haul from the North Circ towing a three year old init?

domtyler

Über Member
Tynan said:
broxbourne?

that's a fair old haul from the North Circ towing a three year old init?

Well you said you needed the exercise! :blush:

At least you will have earned your pint when you get there!

cupoftea

Tynan, Buck Hill, is full of chav's, we live near Queens Road and if you walk down the road it's full of Range Rover and Astons, parked badly with "young" wives buying cr@p, or getting a fake tan

There all budding WAG's, that said some of them are quiet attractive :-)

I've lived in and around Buck Hill all my life, this has always been an area where the east end of London moves to if gets money, just like chigwell

OP
OP
Tynan

Tynan

Veteran
what i thought then, it certainly has a rep for loud mouthed kids with too much cash and bad attitude

funny old area, Highams Park is 'normal' which suits me nicely, we moved from Tottenham which was rather rough although we never had any bother at all

the surrounding area like the Chingfords and Buckhurst Hill all seem to be varying degrees of wealthier but rather chavvy and common

still, it works for me, you must havea tidy old ride i from there? you;re a fair few miles north of me, do you come down that long straight main road throught he Forest from the Robin Hood? pub on the roundabout?

OP
OP
Tynan

Tynan

Veteran
got the route nailed down now and it's a good 'un

barring a shitty piece of tarmac that runs the back of some garages or something, rather rough, went into a huge pot hole hiding in a puddle, thought I wasn't coming out again, the wheels didn't come out as round as they went in

bit nervy about taking the new ride down there :biggrin:

U

User169

Tynan said:
the Hope and Anchor not a good one for my family stop for a quality beer and some snacks then?

The Hope and Anchor is a fantastic pub. Good beer and friendly locals - it's the only pub I've ever been to where the landlord bought me (a total stranger) a beer. Until his death two or three years ago, he'd been landlord for over 50 years!

I'd say it would be fine to stop with children (I did), although it doesn't have much in the way of eatables.

http://fancyapint.com/pubs/pub2115.html

jmaccyd

I know the top end of that route that comes out via Waltham Abbey and goes through (by?) Cheshunt and up to Ware and Hertford. Pleasent cycling especially if you are on a commute, but does have a fair share of walkers and fishing types, although the path is reasonably wide. Not really suitable for a full on race bike but a touring bike with tougher/wider tyres would be OK. Nice pub called the Fish and Eels by Broxbourne that provides a decent watering hole in the summer.

OP
OP
Tynan

Tynan

Veteran
it'll be a Fratello on the commute part which is audax ish and 25 tyres although poshish handbuilt wheels

going to be a junker of new cheap and cheerful suitable ride for the trips northwards

I read the reviews of the Hope and Anchor and it sound(ed)s like a proper local pub, I liked the review about someone wandering in on a bank holiday and finding it ful of very drunk nutters

what every pub used to be like on a bank holiday back in the day

hoping to ride to horse riding on the Lea bridge road with the eldest fairly soon so I can eyeball the pubs southward

and the potholes were far less of a problem today, forwarned and with far less puddles to cover them up

spindrift

Hope And Anchor used to be Buster Bloodvessel's local. It's an....interesting place, outside is popular for unusual cigarettes.

I know that route well - a favourite in my Tower Hamlets Wheelers days, and even two years ago, Mrs. TI and I went up there with the old mob - granted we drove to Mile End with the bikes in the back of the car. I reckon I even know the pothole that Tynan hit.

One famous occasion years agoe we tanked up to Ware driven by a following storm, but didn't have the bottle to cycle back in the teeth of the wind and rain. Holed up in a pub for the afternoon, where a nice couple took one of the girls home to dry her out and give her some clean clothes- she had no waterproofs and was soaked through. The couple brought her back all clean and dry, got a round at the bar and then started beating each other up in the pub. Very odd behaviour. I had taken so much ale on board that I had to periodically relieve myself into a coke bottle and empty it out the train window on the way back to Bethnal Green, as the poxy train had no toilets. Happy days indeed.

Top Bottom