SUSTRAN1/Lea Valley cycle path

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

spindrift

meatballs, pick up the canal near islington job centre behind sainsburies, bosh bosh zoom zoom east wards past The Narrow Boat , bang on along past Vicky park, chuck a left after you cycle under the A12 Blackwall Tunnell northern approach, swing north up the Lea Navigation, steam ahead with a song in your heart and the job's a good 'un. Sorted geezer.

OP
OP
Tynan

Tynan

Veteran
the maps seem to be designed to confuse and certainly confused me initially

you want the towpath right next to the water, suspect thereafter it's a matter of following the bank barring the odd bridge to and fro

tell us all about it yeah?

meatballs

Cheers - I think (!!) - will let you know how I get on, but if anyone has any specific info it will be received with thanks!
Am going to do a sponsored double century to 'up north' (Humber Bridge) from somewhere near Saffron Waldon (youth hostel there) over summer, and thought I could maybe leisurely bike out to SW the day before from Central London. The canal looks great for getting out of London, but with the next days cycling I would rather not have a nightmare + unfortunately arent in London before to check it out...

OP
OP
Tynan

Tynan

Veteran
I suspect the forum's knowledge is on this thread, I can only talk for the few miles between Tottenham and the North Circ, perfect most of the way but some of it is broken concrete/tarmac and a bit rough

up to you but if you got miles perhaps the road wold be smoother? it certainly is pleasant bowling along the river

meatballs

Fair enough cheers. Think I got enough here anyway looking forward to it. WIll definitely post what I find...

ejls2

Hi all,

Sorry haven't managed to ride that route in yet, been playing on the main roads with the road bike instead :girl:

I have ridden the potholey bits several times on the road bike. I wouldn't do it every day but it's "interesting" enough to be fun without having too large a chance of tanking it!

My current towpath weapon of choice is my XC mountain bike with 700c disc wheels (XT hubs, plain gauge spokes, Mavic CXP33 rims and Spec ACP tyres (only because I had them knocking about spare, I'd normally go for gatorskins!)) Lots of speed but a bit more nimble for the really broken up bits and with better braking :girl:

The route is really obvious except for:

the bit we discussed above (if heading south you'll come to a T-junction, head left even though the path looks like it goes right. If heading north it's much more obvious)

The bit at Dobb's Weir Road near Hoddesdon, where you have to cross river at the bridge over the weir.

HTH,

Ed

ejls2

Hi all,

A few more bits of info for anyone that's interested.

The really badly potholded bit about 5k (ish) north of Waltham cross has been filled in by dumping a whole load of loose gravelly stuff on it. It's now much easier to ride butthe gravel is still very loose and slippy.

The bit where it looks like you have to cross the road (in central london) - you go left instead of right at the top and then immediately back down the ramp onto the towpath on the other side. Not obvious but very easy to do!

There is another rolling towpath improvement scheme going. They closed down lots of sections last year and they're doing it again. I can't remember exactly where it was (somewhere on the grand union bit going into the city) but there are steps up and an easy road follow round, followed by steps down.

Big thanks to TYNAN for starting the thread.

I live in WGC (7 miles from Ware) but had never been on the Lea Navigation.

recently took a week day off work , rode to Hertford, on to Ware and then along to Dobbs Weir. I was really pleased with the section that I rode, so much so that on Sunday SWMBO & I went to Ware and then walked southwards for a while. Excellent coffee and croissant at Cafe Belgique in Ware when we got back.

Almost time for another day off - maybe drive to Waltham Abbey and ride south again. Would use train from Ware but they are currently posting Sunday bus transfers.

Top Bottom