Sustrans 5 commute, Oxford to Yarnton

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by chriscross1966, 2 Oct 2017.

Tags:
  1. chriscross1966

chriscross1966 Senior Member

In a word, don't.
    My office has just moved to Yarnton and I'm trying to find a route from there to somewhere the 66 bus picks up from as I live in Swindon. Bike is a modified Brompton... Tried the Woodstock Road last week and its grim due to the state of the surface, so today I tried Sustrans route 5... Er, its not meant for normal bikes as far as I can tell, bits of it are canal path with low bridges, some of it is a bit overgrown, barring a short bit at the Oxford end its really only for mountain bikes... So what's left?... I'm thinking the A34 southbound should be pretty slow southbound, and I can catch the 66 from the last stop on the Botley road, and if I have spare time there, do some shopping in Aldi...

2. KnackeredBike

KnackeredBike I do my own stunts

I occasionally use NCR from the other side of Oxford (it runs past my house) but it is fleeting elements of high quality sandwiched between lots of dross.

Personally, I don't understand why you want to be heading back towards Oxford. Cut across countryside down to somewhere like Kingston Bagpuize, you'll save the extra time cycling with a shorter bus journey.

I would definitely avoid cycling on the A34 because I can only imagine that it would be miserable and/or you will die (unless traffic is at a standstill. Which is a lot of the time. Then it is fun).

3. OP
    OP
    chriscross1966

chriscross1966 Senior Member

Yarnton to Bagpuss is way too far for me to go, plus how do I get there without the A34?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice