Sustrans Chester to Wirral........anyone know that stretch ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I have been told there is a traffic free route from Chester through to the wirral way (Parkgate/Neston area).
The person explaining "thinks" it is Sustrans route 5 but is not sure.
He picks it up at a place called Mickle Trafford.
I have looked at various maps and also on the Sustrans map site...........I cannot see it.
Anyone know that stretch ???

I have been told there is a traffic free route from Chester through to the wirral way (Parkgate/Neston area).
The person explaining "thinks" it is Sustrans route 5 but is not sure.
He picks it up at a place called Mickle Trafford.
I have looked at various maps and also on the Sustrans map site...........I cannot see it.
Anyone know that stretch ???

The Chester Greenway starts at Mickle Trafford/Guilden Sutton and runs straight through Chester to railway bridge on the River Dee (and over towards Llandudno), but jump off Chester Greenway 2nd right after Sealand airbase (blue bridge over big dual carriageway), this forks right to the solar farm, follow around the solar farm following signs through industrial estate, at dead end keep right along flyover path, under flyover (care on corner) then left and right under rail bridge, right fork just before shooting range and over Burto Marshes Greenway NCN568 I think, at far end keep left and stay left and you'll pass Net's Cafe, The Harp pub and then through to Wirral Way (bit of a wiggle). Give me ten minutes to do a route.

http://bikeroutetoaster.com/BRTWebUI/Course/778766 here you go 15 miles one way.

If you want a nice loop, return back to Industrial Estate and continue from where you left off and on to the river, take a left at Hawarden Bridge Station and drop onto river bank and twiddle into Chester, as you fall off end of river bank keep right to the main road, go virtually straight over to side road, take left before canal (hard to judge) fork right up cobbles, right at top, right up a cobbled alley, cross main road into side strret, take a left, take a right, follow towards end and keep left, at main road head right onto shared use pavement, under bridge and fork right up bank, at top turn right back onto Chester Greenway and back to where you started.
This bit added once you return to solar farm area:- http://bikeroutetoaster.com/BRTWebUI/Course/778769

You can also run along canal bank after dropping off river but it is a poor surface and very busy, and you need to watch for right turn up to Greenway.

Cavalol

Guru
There's a café now on a farm, about 100 yards from the Mickle Trafford end of the Millenium path. I think you could park there (if wanted) before doing the ride, it's cycle friendly. Sadly, and stupidly, there is no other parking at that end of the path, but there is further down a bit.
It's a great ride with various options, depending how far you want to go. I usually go to Shotton, then cross over the road by the blue bridge, come down the path by the river Dee, as Neil said.You can then come back through Chester (I can probably knock a map up if wanted) then you have further options again about how to get to Mickle Trafford. We usually do the above, then the A51 out of Chester, left into Barrow, follow through to the A56 then back to Mickle Trafford.

It's tarmac all the way so road bikes are fine to use, as are (of course) hybrids and mountain bikes. There are a lot of dog walkers on there, especially between Hoole Bank and Blacon, so just keep your wits about you, as some of them are off the lead and wander all over the place. We always keep our on the lead by the way!
Also watch out for a tiny minority of racers who go flat out and never give warnings of approach, and there is now speed bumps in at Blacon. The wind usually blows you back from Shotton to Chester by the way, so starting at Mickle Trafford makes things a b it easier if you want a gentle run out.

Top Bottom