Sustrans/cycleways- what do you want?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
E

equicyclist

Anyone here from Wales? Apparrently the Millenium Coast Path at Pembrey/Burry Port is a grit type surface with no barriers. The council say its held up well to the traffic except that external contractors have damaged it. Its a plastic grid infilled with gritty stuff. Its multi user at that point but has been limited to cycles and walkers at the busy bit by the visitor centre. Apparrently the bit that goes through Pembrey forest is often under water so they are looking for an alternative. Interestinly the cattle in the field you have to cycle through by the motor sport centre are man eating and you have to have a turn of speed to out run them.
Perhaps previous cyclists have fed them!

OP
OP
E

equicyclist

The Pembrey cycle route got planning permission with consideration for horse access. So at least its being considered. They just have to find the money now! I will be meeting the council in April and will be mentioning things we have discussed here. Ive found the comments very useful.
I have found out that Dorset, Cornwall and Devon are granting access to many of their cycleways to horses and advertising them to tourists as multi user. Are there any other counties who are opening up such routes to riders as a matter of policy?
Anyone from those areas who can comment on whether its been a problem and attracted lots of additional traffic?

wafflycat

Living in rural parts, when out cycling, I encounter horses & their riders on road. The safe way to pass is to do it slowly, talk in normal tones to the horse (it identifies you as a non-threat) and to pass *wide* out of reach of hooves if the horse decides to take fright. Basically the width of a proper road...

chap

Veteran
dellzeqq said:
Lewisham's vision of cycling is about off-road. They brag about cycle paths that I've ridden past for forty years and never noticed....

Around Catford, it is probably best to get confident on a bike then just ride on the cars roads.

OP
OP
E

equicyclist

wafflycat said:
Living in rural parts, when out cycling, I encounter horses & their riders on road. The safe way to pass is to do it slowly, talk in normal tones to the horse (it identifies you as a non-threat) and to pass *wide* out of reach of hooves if the horse decides to take fright. Basically the width of a proper road...

Riders often complain about the cyclists that sneak up on them and scare the horse. In reality the cyclist tries to be quiet so as not to scare the horse but the best tactics are to be friendly and passs the time of day or "im coming past, OK?". no bells . The horse cannot see whats coming up behind it unless it turns its head but it will hear you if you speak or if on rough ground. If it does turn its head to look then its bum moves away from the direction its looking. (physical fact and worth knowing if you pass a horse when you can see something on its other side that its interested in). Can be controlled by the rider if they know its going to happen but not so easy if they dont.

Top Bottom