Sustrans/cycleways- what do you want?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Danny

Legendary Member
Those barriers look like they came from the ministry of crap design.

I'll take a picture of some less crap barriers at the weekend.

wafflycat

I am reminded of an organised cycle ride I was on which included bits of NCNs around King's Lynn and out towards Lincolnshire. The people on the ride were thoroughly good company. The ride was this: completely ruined by NCN routes. Too much on footpaths (a white painted bike on a standard width footpath does NOT make an acceptable shared use farcility, really, it doesn't) too many barriers that were difficult/impossible to negotiate with out dismounting and man-handling the bikes & trikes around & over the stupid, stupid barriers. The ones that were supposed to keep out motorbikes but failed miserably as could be seen from the number of kids on trail bikes zooming about having got on to the NCN from side streets... We were literally lifting bikes over gates as they were not possible to negotiate any other way.

Don't get me started on the three punctures in under half-an-hour on the NCN that runs by King's Lynn Leisure Centre and out towards Castle Rising. More bits of pavement with white outline bikes painted on them... glass strewn everywhere...

Sustrans? Supposed to be from SUStainable TRANSport. They're having a laugh. They're taking the p*$$.

jonesy

Guru
Danny said:

Here's a picture of the best kind of barrier:

Top of picture.

Bottom of picture.

;)

OP
OP
E

equicyclist

dellzeqq said:
I just think barriers are there to satisfy the need to regulate.

That could be true! Thanks for the pics they are very useful. Has anyone got a pic of a good barrier? I will take a pic of the local ones to me next time Im out. If its felt that they are not necessary then I need to say why so all comments gratefully received. Any older and less mobile/flexible cyclists out there with a comment?

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Barriers penalise poor road users and I can tell you that some don't block things like mini moto users more discourage. In some bad areas you get motorbikes and other things and in less bad areas you don't. It's not always a good idea kicking them off the tracks either.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
jonesy said:
Here's a picture of the best kind of barrier:

Top of picture.

Bottom of picture.

:ohmy:

I fell for that and sat there waiting for the piccy to download ... did I ever say I was gullible:blush:.

(In fact so gullible that on a recent training day someone was prompted "to fall ill", I believed them even when they started denying it - when I thought they were embarrassed at stopping the training which made me believe they were definitely ill, it was only every one else laughing that made me realise :biggrin::blush:)

OP
OP
E

equicyclist

Is there a barrier to stop motorbikes that is pram friendly?

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
equicyclist said:
Is there a barrier to stop motorbikes that is pram friendly?
what would be the point? We're going round in circles here. The paths are neither here nor there in the big scheme of things. A few motorbikes either way doesn't make a difference. The barrier thing is just an outing for control-nuts

StuartG

slower but further
I rarely praise my local authority (Lewisham) but would like to take this opportunity to thank them for removing most of the assorted barriers 'protecting' the Sydenham to Catford shared cycle path along the Ravernsbourne.

So if you nag enough you might get them removed. Or get a council officer, mayor or leader to try and cycle past them ... you need nag no more!

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
That's well hazardous, that path. I no longer ride along there because of numerous pu&^%$res, wild youth, and it's just so much slower than taking the A21. Several people have mentioned muggings along there too.

dodgy

There are the occasional good cyclepath, anyone ridden the Dee river coastal path between Chester and Flint? In fact there's another path slightly further inshore that follows the same direction. Both of them are perfect surfaces, you can get quite a speed up on them if there's no pedestrians around :smile:
On the whole though, most cyclepaths are avoided by me.

Norm

Danny said:

Did these get posted and I missed them? Did Danny mention which weekend, though? xx(

I'm still thinking that Jonesy has come up with the best barrier design I've ever seen. :biggrin:

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
StuartG said:
I rarely praise my local authority (Lewisham) but would like to take this opportunity to thank them for removing most of the assorted barriers 'protecting' the Sydenham to Catford shared cycle path along the Ravernsbourne.

So if you nag enough you might get them removed. Or get a council officer, mayor or leader to try and cycle past them ... you need nag no more!
Lewisham's vision of cycling is about off-road. They brag about cycle paths that I've ridden past for forty years and never noticed....

Top Bottom