Sustrans/cycleways- what do you want?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
E

equicyclist

Actually I think we have misconceptions about what all the users feel is an ideal surface which is why Ive decided to come and ask. "Cunobelin" commented in the horse muck on the paths. I would reply that if the surface wasnt tarmac then it degrades quickly and washes into the soil. It does tend to hang around on tarmac and locally we do see lots of broken glass on the tarmac paths as well.
Back to the misconceptions- sand isnt the ideal for horses as its pretty tiresome for them as well but a solid stone surface with a covering of grass is what I would call ideal. Its soft so reduces concussion on the horses legs, it drains well and its natural looking and doesnt spoil the landscape. I dont expect its ideal for cyclists though. I dont perceive to know what is ideal for a cyclist but I expect, as i said that it depends what type of cyclist you are. Its certainly the case for riders.

OP
OP
E

equicyclist

User, if you are refering to the roads then Im afraid I disagree on behalf of riders because no matter how considerate vehicle drivers are sometimes its just lack of knowledge/awareness that causes us danger on the road. We are vulnerable road users and unfortunately once a horse has had a bad experience with a type of vehicle it will take a long time for it to be comfortable again sharing a space with it in close proximity. I dont blame drivers for driving badly I curse them for not having common sense and understanding but I think I expect too much. However there are riders walkers and cyclists that I curse similarly on occasion. I would love not to have to use the roads but there are not enough bridleways for that to happen. I know that drivers dont think I should be on the road but where else can we go.

Norm

equicyclist said:
Back to the misconceptions- sand isnt the ideal for horses as its pretty tiresome for them as well but a solid stone surface with a covering of grass is what I would call ideal. Its soft so reduces concussion on the horses legs, it drains well and its natural looking and doesnt spoil the landscape. I dont expect its ideal for cyclists though. I dont perceive to know what is ideal for a cyclist but I expect, as i said that it depends what type of cyclist you are. Its certainly the case for riders.
I thought that might be the case, I was just basing my comments on the trails I know which have been laid specifically for horses.

If I'm riding an off-road bike, solid stone sounds good but there needs to be something over it for the grass to grow on. I guess that the depth of the soil determines how hard it is on the cyclists or horses when it's wet.

I'm reminded of some trials I did around Dartmoor last year. One of them, in particular, was a dismantled railway which had been left to grow over, rather than being resurfaced. That was pretty good for cycling, even when everything else was water-logged, as the ballast provided very good drainage and the soil was only a couple of inches deep, so, even if it was saturated, there was something solid fairly close to the surface.

For road-bikes, though, the clue is in the name and pretty much the only usable surface is tarmac.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
I rode a cycle path in Bavaria from Oberstdorf to Sonthofen. It was like a very fine rolled granite? It was sort of rough, but rideable on 700c (I saw some roadies on it). The weather tended to drain well off it too, and it wasn't at all muddy.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
equicyclist said:
This is my first post and I hope you will be kind to me! I am a horserider and leisure cyclist with a husband and child who are also leisure cyclists.

And what a pleasant, articulate read it is. Welcome aboard, enjoy the ride. What's your horse called....can I stroke her/him?

wafflycat

User said:
We have a wonderful network of over 25,000 miles of cycleways in the UK, with (on the whole) smooth tarmac and direct routes to the places we want to go to. Why would we want some organisation to provide additional, and often dodgy, routes?

All we have to do is get the other people using those cycleways in their motor vehicles to do so safely and properly...

+1

I find that those particular routes, combined with the ability to interpret an OS map lead me to all sorts of wonderful and interesting places too. The best way to enjoy cycling IMO.

wafflycat

equicyclist said:
User, if you are refering to the roads then Im afraid I disagree on behalf of riders because no matter how considerate vehicle drivers are sometimes its just lack of knowledge/awareness that causes us danger on the road. We are vulnerable road users and unfortunately once a horse has had a bad experience with a type of vehicle it will take a long time for it to be comfortable again sharing a space with it in close proximity. I dont blame drivers for driving badly I curse them for not having common sense and understanding but I think I expect too much. However there are riders walkers and cyclists that I curse similarly on occasion. I would love not to have to use the roads but there are not enough bridleways for that to happen. I know that drivers dont think I should be on the road but where else can we go.

Certainly disagree on behalf of yourself, but don't assume that you speak for anyone other than yourself. It's a tad presumptious.

sadjack

wafflycat said:
Certainly disagree on behalf of yourself, but don't assume that you speak for anyone other than yourself. It's a tad presumptious.

I suppose that depends if you represent yourself or sit on bodies where the views of similar riders are known.

Maybe a tad presumptuous to presume the OP represents just herself.

Just a thought as the OP's posts seem to suggest (to me anyway) some knowledge of campaigning and is seeking alternative views of cyclists as opposed to horse riders. :laugh:

The more vulnerable road users understand each other and their needs the more we are likely to club together on issues that effect us.

But maybe I presume too much :biggrin:

wafflycat

Posting on here, each of us can only represent ourselves. This is not a body or organisation where cycling policy is decided upon. ;)

sadjack

wafflycat said:
Posting on here, each of us can only represent ourselves. This is not a body or organisation where cycling policy is decided upon. :tongue:

Who was making decisions? Seeking information and others views to be well informed is not decision making ;)

sadjack

BentMikey said:
Roads are the best cycle paths around. Sustrans can die a death as far as I'm concerned.

I can understand your point. I ride on the road mostly. But I do think Sustrans have something to offer.

There are plenty of cyclists, I am one, who enjoy riding on more natural surfaces. I would not do it on an expensive light and easily damaged road bike, but I do on my tourer.

There is even something called the Rough Stuff Fellowship, riders who like to ride, erm, rough stuff :tongue:

So ALL cyclists do not want tarmac or even roads.

RedBike

I would be happy if the trails were just ridable.

All too often these paths are taken over by dog walkers and start to suffer from huge litter problem. Which means that it's impossible to ride down them without risking puncturing or stopping a million times because someone can't control their dog.

In urban areas these tarmaced paths also attract anti-social groups which can make them more or less 'no-go areas' after dark.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
BentMikey said:
Roads are the best cycle paths around. Sustrans can die a death as far as I'm concerned.
I like riding on roads but not all roads at all times of the day.

I live in the Calder Valley which basically has just one road going down the middle of it - the busy A646 which goes from Halifax to Todmorden and then splits in two to proceed along the valleys to Burnley or Rochdale. It is a very busy road and I certainly wouldn't want to be riding on it in rush hour traffic. I definitely wouldn't want young children to be riding on it at those times.

The only alternative used to be to ride up the side of the valley to get on to the high level lanes. That's what I usually do, but it isn't ideal for the young, less fit or those in a hurry.

We now have an alternative - the Calder Valley Cycleway. Some parts of it are on the Rochdale canal towpath, some on quiet residential roads. There are some sections through woodland on packed soil (occasionally muddy), some on tarmac, some on gravel. I ride a road bike on it without any problems and it is a good alternative to the main road. Notably - it provides a safe route for children who want to ride to the big comprehensive school in Mytholmroyd.

I don't want anybody to legally force me off the road onto a cycle path but I do like the option to get away from the traffic sometimes. I've used the CVC to get home after doing some very gruelling Pennine rides and it is such a luxury not having to deal with homicidal drivers when I'm knackered.

calder_valley_cycleway_brearley.jpg

Nobody gets their flask out for a cuppa on the A646!

To answer the OP - that's the kind of cycle path that I like!

There are less appealing cycle paths round here though. This is an example of the kind of cycle path that we could do without! ;)

cycleway-no-through-road.jpg

buttress.jpg

buttress_halfway.jpg

down_the_buttress.jpg

Impossibly hard to ride up, lethally dangerous to ride down - whoever thought of that one should be sent back to to cycle path training school! :smile:

Top Bottom