Sustrans Handbook for cycle friendly design

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
summerdays

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Ok I'm already finding some things I don't like, such as the staggered bollards which are a pain on a normal bike and worse on anything else, and the Southampton junction is in there.

Other bits are interesting such as the gap between a pinch point and the edge of the road shouldn't be between 3-3.9 m. Presumably that is the size that would allow a car to squeeze through at the same time but without leaving enough room.

Pete Owens

Actually, to be fair to Sustrans it does seem they have moved on from their earlier obsession with segregation at all costs and are putting forward a more balanced approach - describing good features of street and junction design. Rather like LTN 2/08 it starts off well, describing cyclists needs in terms of space. Sadly, also like LTN 2/08, it then goes on to ignore those needs when specifying dimensions of cycle specific infrastructure - just rehashing previous standards.

This book and previous versions are extremely useful.

I have on a number of occasions used it to point out how a "farcility" does not meet a minimum recognised standard and froced revision or removal

Pete Owens

The trouble is, when the standards are themselves so poor then referring to the standards puts you in the position of campaigning for c**p.

Top Bottom