SUVs are useless for carrying stuff

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

icowden

Veteran
Minimum range for me to consider an Ev as a main car would be 150 miles so one stop Leeds to Devon.
So that's 82% of all EVs listed on the EV database and 96% of all EV SUVs.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Well said! Find a boring suv that's better to drive than my old 535d Touring and i'll admit defeat :okay:

I used to have the V70R, a practical hooligan.

it replaced an old style V90 which had a straight 6 petrol - probably only about 200bhp I think but very smooth. That was a humongous boot, and had flip up rear facing seats for when you needed to seat 7.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
How is comparing a larger car with a small car a useful comparison?

The current ford focus weighs from 1280 to 1543kg. The VW ID3 which is probably a better comparator is 1813 to 1936kg. So about 300 to 600kg difference depending on config.
<snip>
Another way of looking at it is that the ID3 is 30% - 40% heavier depending on configuration for a similar sized car. Another comparison is that my (larger) Mazda 6 Estate with the diesel engine is 'only' 1600kg but still 15% lighter than the ID3.

Still don't understand what this has to do with SUVs being useless though.

icowden

Veteran
Still don't understand what this has to do with SUVs being useless though.
If it helps, my understanding is that the thrust is that EV SUVs are even more useless as due to their height they can't pass the possibly fictional height restrictions allegedly being put in place at some very old car parks, which means they can't park on the upper levels, whereas ICE SUVs have magic that allows them past?

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
If it helps, my understanding is that the thrust is that EV SUVs are even more useless as due to their height they can't pass the possibly fictional height restrictions allegedly being put in place at some very old car parks, which means they can't park on the upper levels, whereas ICE SUVs have magic that allows them past?

I haven't observed any (new) height restrictions, but, weight would appear to be a problem, but, perhaps, only if you are a Civil Engineer.

icowden

Veteran
I haven't observed any (new) height restrictions, but, weight would appear to be a problem, but, perhaps, only if you are a Civil Engineer.

And to be fair to the civil engineer chap, he did not single out EVs. He spoke generally about the increasing weight of all cars and the fact that there are some very old multistorey car parks where that could be an issue.

Top Bottom