SUVs are useless for carrying stuff

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
You say that, but I reckon I could get all of that into an ID4 with the seats down. Some "SUV"s have decent boot space.
According to t'internet, that BMW 3 series estate has 500 litres of boot space expanding to 1510 litres of boot space.
The ID4 has 543 litres of boot space expanding to 1575 litres of boot space.

In fact 9 of the 10 SUVs with the biggest boot space have more boot space than the BMW 3 series estate...
https://www.buyacar.co.uk/cars/family-cars/suvs/1603/suvs-with-the-biggest-boots

Yet another example of simple figures giving a misleading impression.

There's a reason so many goods come in a plain, straight sided box - it's the most efficient means of packing stuff.

The SUV might have more litres, but its high sill, smaller and odd shaped loading aperture, lumpy load floor, and odd shaped luggage compartment combine to make it a dead loss from a practical point of view.

I once carried a large double G plan wardrobe in a Cortina estate.

Large, flat, low loading aperture, flat floor and straight sided boxy load compartment meant the wardrobe slid in a treat.

You wouldn't get that boxy piece of furniture near a modern SUV, even one with more litres.

Gunk

Guru
Correct me if I'm wrong ID4 is an ev with 0-62mph of about 6 seconds, BMW 330d is a 3litre diesel with 0-62mph of 5 point something seconds. With a nice looking but impractical sloping boot. Perhaps it might have the space of the ID4 of they'd made it with a traditional boxy boot. That's part of the issue with estates, too many compromise for looks or sportier looks.

Out of those two I think I'd prefer the ev suv. Don't like compromised estates. The old skoda superb was a nice big estate that did what it was designed for, have a huge space inside. I guess you buy BMW estates for other reasons, the "driver's car" I guess! Lol!

Personally belting away from the lights full throttle isn’t really something I’m that bothered about. The ID4 is a very worthy car but not really my cup of tea, perhaps if I was in to drag racing it would be on my list

Jameshow

Veteran
Ok
Correct me if I'm wrong ID4 is an ev with 0-62mph of about 6 seconds, BMW 330d is a 3litre diesel with 0-62mph of 5 point something seconds. With a nice looking but impractical sloping boot. Perhaps it might have the space of the ID4 of they'd made it with a traditional boxy boot. That's part of the issue with estates, too many compromise for looks or sportier looks.

Out of those two I think I'd prefer the ev suv. Don't like compromised estates. The old skoda superb was a nice big estate that did what it was designed for, have a huge space inside. I guess you buy BMW estates for other reasons, the "driver's car" I guess! Lol!

It's a life style estate not a serious load lugger.

Better getting a Volvo C70, superb or e class as a proper estate.

Reminds me of the Alfa 156 estate which has a smaller boot than the saloon iirc...!

icowden

Veteran
Yet another example of simple figures giving a misleading impression.
Talking of simple figures... why do you assume that all SUVs have weird boot shapes? Mine is very nice and flows pretty well thanks. No lips and easy to load. The little side pockets are handy and that floor lifts up to give you another 20cm depth if you need it (and then under that there is a large well which could be used for additional storage if you don't need to take the charging cable with you)

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

icowden

Veteran
Many SUVs are too big for carpark spaces too...either that or most of those who drive them are completely inept and incapable of parking between the lines :rolleyes:
Probably the latter - although you would have thought that with reversing cameras it would help. Heck my car will park itself (if it can spot that there is actually a space and you have a spare 5 minutes to get it to actually park).

I read somewhere that they may put a height restriction on taller vehicles going up to higher floors in older weaker multi-storey car parks. As a simple way of preventing the heaviest largest SUV EVs from going to the top and causing structural damage. It is predicted this could cause many problems for such vehicles due to their popularity and being restricted to only small sections of multi-storey car parks so more difficult for them to find parking. So maybe if owning such a vehicle becomes a huge inconvenience people will return to lighter, safer (for car parks) types of vehicles. Big estate cars will sneak in with all the mini size and super mini type vehicles due to their low height but SUVs, people carriers etc would be restricted where they can park.

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money...ollapse-weight-heavier-electric-vehicles.html

icowden

Veteran
I read somewhere that they may put a height restriction on taller vehicles going up to higher floors in older weaker multi-storey car parks.
Yup. Not sure it makes much sense though.
  • An EV is not much heavier than a modern ICE, typically only a 200 to 300 kg. For example VW Tiguan (Hybrid) weights from 1620 to 1822kg. ID4 weight 1965 to 2239kg.
  • Cars vary in height from about 1420mm to 1890mm. Where do you set the height limit? 1600mm? That will block a Tesla X or Y but not a Tesla S or 3. So there would be no benefit at all to using height as a measure to prevent heavier cars from going higher. Surely a scale would be a better way of doing it?

Chris Whapples, a structural engineer and car park consultant, is at the forefront of these new measures which are due to be published in the coming weeks.
'I don’t want to be too alarmist, but there definitely is the potential for some of the early car parks in poor condition to collapse,' he told The Telegraph.
He doesn't want to be alarmist but has had nothing else to do for the last 6 months or so than be alarmist!!

Jameshow

Veteran
  • An EV is not much heavier than a modern ICE, typically only a 200 to 300 kg. For example VW Tiguan (Hybrid) weights from 1620 to 1822kg. ID4 weight 1965 to 2239kg.
  • Cars vary in height from about 1420mm to 1890mm. Where do you set the height limit? 1600mm? That will block a Tesla X or Y but not a Tesla S or 3. So there would be no benefit at all to using height as a measure to prevent heavier cars from going higher. Surely a scale would be a better way of doing it?

He doesn't want to be alarmist but has had nothing else to do for the last 6 months or so than be alarmist!!

Not much heavier than a RR / discovery 3/4 iirc??

Not seem them barred?

Gunk

Guru

Is all this weight progress, surely they have technology to remove some of this unnecessary weight. My 1977 911 was less than 1200kgs.

Carrera 3.0 Rear.jpeg

icowden

Veteran
Is all this weight progress, surely they have technology to remove some of this unnecessary weight. My 1977 911 was less than 1200kgs.
And would likely have killed you in a car crash. Modern cars have airbags, side impact bars etc etc to make the occupants safe. Those add weight.
Now that EVs are on the scene there is some incentive to try and reduce the weight of these things...

Top Bottom