SUVs are useless for carrying stuff

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gunk

Guru
Clearing my daughter out of halls today, the BMW swallows it all up without any dramas

IMG_1627.jpeg

IMG_1628.jpeg

DRHysted

Guru
Horses for courses.
My old estate had a bigger boot, but it didn’t like towing the caravan, it overhung the driveway, the towbar overhung most parking bays, was a struggle to get out of as it was wider than my current SUV and was much tighter on the driveway.
As I said, horses for courses.

icowden

Veteran
This is what came out of the car
Much more practical than an SUV
You say that, but I reckon I could get all of that into an ID4 with the seats down. Some "SUV"s have decent boot space.
According to t'internet, that BMW 3 series estate has 500 litres of boot space expanding to 1510 litres of boot space.
The ID4 has 543 litres of boot space expanding to 1575 litres of boot space.

In fact 9 of the 10 SUVs with the biggest boot space have more boot space than the BMW 3 series estate...
https://www.buyacar.co.uk/cars/family-cars/suvs/1603/suvs-with-the-biggest-boots

icowden

Veteran
but most don’t have a lovely straight 6 diesel engine with 260bhp :evil:
True that. Mine would leave you standing at the lights... :becool:

vickster

Legendary Member
but most don’t have a lovely straight 6 diesel engine with 260bhp :evil:

My brother’s E46 B3.3 Alpina Touring is as practical and has around 300bhp I believe. Probably rather thirstier though on the Super :laugh:
My Fabia estate is also very practical for a little car :becool:

We recently bought a new Mazda CX-3 back in Thailand, it falls into the category of subcompact crossover SUV. It replaces our old Honda Jazz, which did us proud for over 10 years and nearly 300,000km. Must admit it really is a nice car to drive, all the bells and whistles, punchy 2 liter engine, and 50mpg average. Doubt it holds as much gear as the old car, the Jazz having those famous folding any which way seats. I'm hoping to be allowed to put my folding bike in the back soon for travelling, Mrs Crank being ultra cautious and protective of the new toy. For this purchase it was definitely looks before practicality, but we only decided after going to a motor show and trying out a whole bunch of cars :okay:

Correct me if I'm wrong ID4 is an ev with 0-62mph of about 6 seconds, BMW 330d is a 3litre diesel with 0-62mph of 5 point something seconds. With a nice looking but impractical sloping boot. Perhaps it might have the space of the ID4 of they'd made it with a traditional boxy boot. That's part of the issue with estates, too many compromise for looks or sportier looks.

Out of those two I think I'd prefer the ev suv. Don't like compromised estates. The old skoda superb was a nice big estate that did what it was designed for, have a huge space inside. I guess you buy BMW estates for other reasons, the "driver's car" I guess! Lol!

Top Bottom