Suzuki Van Van annual commuting costs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
MarkF

MarkF

Guru
Of course you also have to account for helmet/gloves/jacket/trousers/boots. I tend to spend £200 on protective gear, knowing they usually last a couple years.

I didn't buy any safety or motorcycle specific gear, nothing. I use the helmet that I had for my scooter and I don't actually own any other safety gear. If it's cold I do wear (regular) gloves, usually I wear a Regatta soft shell jacket with a fold up cagoule thingie in my pocket for when it rains.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
You really should wear protective gear. But i will leave it there before i sound like a preaching health and safety expert.

mustang1

Guru
I've always said for commuting, a motorcycle or scooter is better than a bike (certainly in my case, a 10 mile commute).

I would arrive without sweat, no need to waste time in the shower, no need to change clothes, and get to work quicker. Free parking, negligible fuel costs. The only real cost is insurance and annual servicing, but I suspect annual bike service is dearer than a motorbike. How did I work that out? Ask the friggin lbs.

Then the same time saving on the way home too!

OP
OP
MarkF

MarkF

Guru
You really should wear protective gear. But i will leave it there before i sound like a preaching health and safety expert.
No I shouldn't, I've been riding a motorcycle since I was 16, that'll be 40 years soon, I know what makes me a safer rider, I like to feel very vulnerable.

I've always said for commuting, a motorcycle or scooter is better than a bike (certainly in my case, a 10 mile commute).

I would arrive without sweat, no need to waste time in the shower, no need to change clothes, and get to work quicker. Free parking, negligible fuel costs. The only real cost is insurance and annual servicing, but I suspect annual bike service is dearer than a motorbike. How did I work that out? Ask the friggin lbs.

Then the same time saving on the way home too!

Yes, I do cycle occasionally, but my commute is very arduous, hot or cold I always arrive a sweaty mess. I also walk 8-10 miles on my shift........

Interesting looking bike mark, but not a vespa, the king of bikes. My heart still goes a flutter when, rarely these days, i hear that distinctive engine sound.

OP
OP
MarkF

MarkF

Guru
Interesting looking bike mark, but not a vespa, the king of bikes. My heart still goes a flutter when, rarely these days, i hear that distinctive engine sound.

I was in Naples earlier this year and they were rare there, it's so sad, how many will regret the Vespa scrappage scheme, sacrilege!

BTW my 1962 Vespa will be cheaper to run than the Van Van soon, 120mpg, free road tax and no MOT required for 40 year old vehicles from May 2018.

Top Bottom