SW France severe weather warning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

woodbutcher

Veteran
Just in case anyone is heading this way on a cycle holiday etc . Take it easy folks :
Vigilance orange canicule, Lot
Active pendant 8 heures ·
Météo-France
Cette alerte a été mise à jour.

Publié il y a 6 heures
Chacun d’entre nous est menacé, même les sujets en bonne santé. , Le danger est plus grand pour les personnes âgées, les personnes atteintes de maladie chronique ou de troubles de la santé mentale, les personnes qui prennent régulièrement des médicaments, et les personnes isolées. , Chez les sportifs et les personnes qui travaillent dehors, attention à la déshydratation et au coup de chaleur., Veillez aussi sur les enfants., Les symptômes d’un coup de chaleur sont : une fièvre supérieure à 40°C, une peau chaude, rouge et sèche, des maux de tête, des nausées, une somnolence, une soif intense, une confusion, des convulsions et une perte de connaissance.
Actions recommandées
BE PREPARED that high temperatures will lead to health risks amongst vulnerable people e.g. the elderly and very young. Listen to and act upon advice from the authorities.
:sun:I love the heat but this is a bit much ....thank goodness for old stone houses , the dogs and l will snooze the day away inside :whistle:

Similar to UK weather then:whistle:

Be careful out there.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Similar to UK weather then:whistle:
Indeed, forecast to hit 35+ in London today
*cough* The UK extends beyond London and the south east :okay:.
This week, while you lot down there enjoy your heatwave, we've had wind, rain, flooding, closed roads, landslides etc.. Temperatures struggling to reach mid teens. Just another "summer" for us :rolleyes:.

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
Fed up being in the house, thought l would sit outside under a sunshade and have a coffee. Not one of my best ideas, it is currently 44c and in the time it has taken to drink one espresso my daily contact lenses have begun to dry up :sad:

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
I have just heard of a cyclist and his non-cyclist girlfriend setting off a few days ago to cycle from the north of France to the south coast to board a ferry to Corsica and eventually onwards to Greece. Covid-19, long distances, cycling inexperience, blistering temperatures... what could possibly go wrong! :whistle:
I really hope they have enough funds to enable them rest up in a decent hotel or two en route . I just checked our digital house thermometer and it is showing 45.9c seriously dangerous to be doing much outside never mind cycling !

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I really hope they have enough funds to enable them rest up in a decent hotel or two en route . I just checked our digital house thermometer and it is showing 45.9c seriously dangerous to be doing much outside never mind cycling !
It did sound a bit mad to me... The man was hoping that they would manage - you won't believe this - 100 miles a day!!! :eek: Apparently, reality kicked in and they only did 50 km in their first 2 days.. :okay::laugh:

As long as they give up on Plan A I'm sure that they can still have a nice trip, but any attempt to push the pace and/or distance is bound to end in tears.

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
First year I lived in France, 2003, very hot. old English chap down the road had just bought an old Farm and was doing it up, one day I went past and he looked decidedly under the weather, I offered to help but he refused. That afternoon he had pompiers trying to revive him.
I hope they were successful and maybe he learnt to take it easy !

Drago

Legendary Member
In the UK we have a Class 1 Solar Radiation Death Kill Slaughter Carnage warning in place.

In the old days we simply used to call it "summer".

First year I lived in France, 2003, very hot. old English chap down the road had just bought an old Farm and was doing it up, one day I went past and he looked decidedly under the weather, I offered to help but he refused. That afternoon he had pompiers trying to revive him.

Some years ago my Dad was having a large conservatory built. The bloke was going a dreadful job with the brickwork and was all over the place. By the time my dad had got off the phone complaining to the guys boss the rickie had dropped off his perch, which was rather inconvenient for all concerned.

Last edited:
Top Bottom