Swallows 2016

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
@User9609 put some mealworm in a dish with water to help feeding the wee ones, maybe a bird seed feeder too for the parents.

Lullabelle

Banana
[QUOTE 4319526, member: 9609"]we have had a couple of miserable damp days but it has never been particularly cold and it looks like all 5 are still with us. When we lost a nest a few years ago the day time temperatures were about 6c and very wet, this last couple of days it has been damp but temperatures more like 15. The parents have been in and out all day with food so I presume they are getting sufficiently nourished.
No picture from yesterday I didn't want to disturb them, they would have been havin a tough time with the weather., although it has brightened up tonight and it is now dry, parents seem to have went off by themselves like they do at this time of the evening.
So I think this is them at 3 days old.
swal018_zpsezqk486r.jpg
[/QUOTE]

:wub: :hugs: good luck little ones

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@User9609 wicked pics and great updates

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
[QUOTE 4329676, member: 9609"]Day 10,
No more close ups from now on, they're getting older and I don't want to freak them out. So I have made a little hide at the other end of the garage.
swal022_zpsoquzqsfx.jpg

swal023_zpsmmtkhib5.jpg

I spent an hour this afternoon counting how many feeds they were making, in one hour I counted 37, so each parent will have managed to catch a mouthfull of insects once every 3min 15 seconds - they certainly work hard.

I also shot a little video, it was shot over 12minutes hover I have edited down to 4 minutes to make it more watchable.

the feeds take place at
0:08
0:52
1:40
2:06
3:22 (this feed also sees the parent waiting for the poo sack which it will deposit well away from the nest)

[/QUOTE]
Brilliant video! Seeing their eager reaction, and the parent making a choice of which gob gets the food.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I must admit to staring intently at the photos trying to work out if it was possible to identify one bird from the feather pattern to try to work out if they take turns being on the top or bottom.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4332504, member: 9609"]it would be rerally interesting to film them for several hours then do a study of how evenly they get fed. In the above video out of the five feeds one did not get fed and one got fed twice.[/QUOTE]
They all seem to be doing well so far.

Is it down to a diet of millions of Midges up your way though. :giggle:

Top Bottom