Swapping Freehubs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grellboy

Über Member
Freehub went on my back wheel recently. For the expense of replacing it, or buying a new wheel, instead I bought a pair locally from ebay which had only done 800 miles supposedly. Just gone to clean the bike now (having done about 80 miles maybe on new wheels) and discovered one of the spokes has burst out of the rim, pulling up the rim as it burst out like something out of alien!! So I now have two useless back wheels - one with a good rim, one with a good free hub. How do-able - for someone with moderate skills at best - would it be for me to swap the good freehub to the good rim? I've got the tools I believe, just not sure I have skills.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Go to youtube, Are the wheels the same make? There are different freewheels for different wheels.

OP
OP
grellboy

grellboy

Über Member
Different makes unfortunately. Same fitting though, if that's not a contradiction? (Shimano 10)

Freehub went on my back wheel recently. For the expense of replacing it, or buying a new wheel, instead I bought a pair locally from ebay which had only done 800 miles supposedly. Just gone to clean the bike now (having done about 80 miles maybe on new wheels) and discovered one of the spokes has burst out of the rim, pulling up the rim as it burst out like something out of alien!! So I now have two useless back wheels - one with a good rim, one with a good free hub. How do-able - for someone with moderate skills at best - would it be for me to swap the good freehub to the good rim? I've got the tools I believe, just not sure I have skills.
Without insulting you but based on the understanding I see in your description and your own admission, I'd say it is not doable.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Do they both have the same spoke count? Might be an option to relace the good rim to the good hub, could even use the same spokes if lucky. I gave done similar in the past and grafted a Shimano hub into a specialized wheel for my little brother. I did this in an evening outside my tent while we were camping for the weekend.

Sharky

Guru
What went on the first freehub?

Might need taking off, cleaning and re oiling. I've had freehub that have started freewheeling in both directions.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Give it a bash. You're not likely to make things much worse. You've got two knackered wheels now ... Worst case you might end up with two subtly differently knackered wheels.

As I recall you shove a moderately fat hex key inside the freehub, huff and puff a bit and bingo! it comes off.

Top Bottom