Swapping handlebars to aero bars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gmw492

Veteran
I am thinking of changing my stock handlebars to an aero set of bars with internal cabling, it’s not a fixed all in one cockpit it’s just the bars, question is how hard or easy is it, is it just a case of taking the shifters off and cables with everything else attached to gears and brakes then thread through new bars and attach to cabling to the shifters again, or do you have to disconnect all cables from gears and brakes and start from scratch , only found a video on straight bar swop not full explanation of internal , any advice, also any recommendations for a good decent bar tape to finish off on , thanks

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'd use new cables to be honest as the routing may need more cable, or less, depending on the bars. Your going to have to disconnect cables from the brakes and mechs to re-route through the bars, and remove the crimps off the end of the cables, so I'd get new throughout.

battered

Guru
It's dead easy. The levers swap over, you may need to unhook the cables. In fact I had to trim a cable somewhere. Easy though. I reused the bar tape.

Sharky

Guru
A club mate has aero bars on his best bike, but for our evening time trials was unable to find any clip on tri bars to fit. If there is a possibility of you riding TT's, might be best to keep to round profile bars.

You will need to undo the cables to feed through the internals of the bars.

You can get aero profile bars without internal cabling though. That would be an easier way to do it.

And I swear by the black lifeline tape you can get from Wiggle.

OP
OP
gmw492

gmw492

Veteran
A club mate has aero bars on his best bike, but for our evening time trials was unable to find any clip on tri bars to fit. If there is a possibility of you riding TT's, might be best to keep to round profile bars.
No I’m not that advanced to ride TT just want to change my bars for something a bit cleaner looking and better than the stock handlebars that came with my bike

OP
OP
gmw492

gmw492

Veteran
You will need to undo the cables to feed through the internals of the bars.

You can get aero profile bars without internal cabling though. That would be an easier way to do it.

And I swear by the black lifeline tape you can get from Wiggle.
Yes the ones I’ve seen have internal cable holes , that’s why I was unsure , could I just disconnect the cables from the hoods thread through new bars and reconnect to hoods when mounted on bars

If your cables don't fray then you can reuse them - but you'd be better off taking the chance to replace them especially if it's been a while.
Getting a frayed inner through a cable outer is awkward at best.

I'm not really getting why it's cleaner looking though ? Do you not have cables underneath the bartape at the moment ?

OP
OP
gmw492

gmw492

Veteran
If your cables don't fray then you can reuse them - but you'd be better off taking the chance to replace them especially if it's been a while.
Getting a frayed inner through a cable outer is awkward at best.

I'm not really getting why it's cleaner looking though ? Do you not have cables underneath the bartape at the moment ?
Yes but as I wanted a new set of bars just thought I’d try these

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I fully integrate cockpit can be a complete nightmare to work on - in some cases if you want to replace a headset bearing or even just take a spacer out and you have to re-cable the whole bike. I help the guys I ride with with repairs/servicing, but after opening one up I realised that it would be a couple of hours work at least to simply remove a spacer without cutting it off. A semi integrated is good enough for me.

OP
OP
gmw492

gmw492

Veteran
I fully integrate cockpit can be a complete nightmare to work on - in some cases if you want to replace a headset bearing or even just take a spacer out and you have to re-cable the whole bike. I help the guys I ride with with repairs/servicing, but after opening one up I realised that it would be a couple of hours work at least to simply remove a spacer without cutting it off. A semi integrated is good enough for me.
Yes Ibet they are hard work fully integrated, I’m just getting the bars as you have a bit of adjustment to play with , don’t fancy a fixed cockpit no tilt or stem swopping option,

Top Bottom