Sweaty Head?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I don't have much hair on my head, but due to it getting slightly warmer now i seam to sweat so much from my head. Even with a good helmet with plenty of ventilation it doesn't help.

If i wear a skull cap or a cap it gets soaked with the sweat and if i don't wear anything it drips in eye and stings.

What do other people do to get around this?

Norm

Buff.

As in the neck scarf thing, rather than as in polishing. ;)

dodgy

Buff, yess Buff and again BUFF!

You'll wonder why you didn't always have one, no more salty stains on your glasses, no more stinging eyes ;) They should be sold with helmets imo.

OP
OP
gaz

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I have a buff but don't see how it will be any different to a skull cap or cap. I will try it tomorrow though.

hubgearfreak said:
ride slower and with no helmet

But then where do i mount my camera ?;)

Davidc

Guru
Cyclecraft says that if your head gets too hot then take your helmet off.

I followed that advice yesterday. The helmet's much more comfortable bungeed to the rack, sadly I now feel naked without it though.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Davidc said:
Cyclecraft says that if your head gets too hot then take your helmet off.

I followed that advice yesterday. The helmet's much more comfortable bungeed to the rack, sadly I now feel naked without it though.

Jobst Brandt says it makes no difference: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/cycling-myths.html

Subject: Cycling Myths
Following are various myths about cycling and why they are/aren't true.

Myth: Wearing a helmet makes your head hotter than if you didn't wear one.

Actual measurements under hard riding conditions with ANSI standard helmets show no consistent temperature difference from helmetless riders. Part of the reason is that helmets provide insulated protection from the sun as well as some airflow around the head.
(Les Earnest Les@cs.Stanford.edu)

In answer to the OP. I wear a buff under my helmet too, French Foreign Legion stylee so the rear-flap protects my neck from the sun. Usefully, the edges can cover the ears to stop insects buzzing in!

ASC1951

Guru
gaz said:
I have a buff but don't see how it will be any different to a skull cap or cap.
There is a knack to it. You need to tie it in Pirate Mode, with the knot well down and the front only halfway down your forehead. Then the sweat is wicked to the back and evaporates off the knot.

I don't get any sweat on my wrap-around glasses even cycling in 30C in Spain, so it does work. Mind you, I don't wear a helmet.

Davidc

Guru
Experience suggests that the evaporation of the sweat in the flow of air cools my head down! It also suggests that in winter the helmet keeps my head warm.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Exactly how I wear mine, and it works as described below. They are very good at dissipating sweat. Wear my buff all year round

ASC1951 said:
There is a knack to it. You need to tie it in Pirate Mode, with the knot well down and the front only halfway down your forehead. Then the sweat is wicked to the back and evaporates off the knot.

I don't get any sweat on my wrap-around glasses even cycling in 30C in Spain, so it does work. Mind you, I don't wear a helmet.

GrasB

Veteran
I personally prefer a bandanna to a buff but the same basics apply.

Fab Foodie said:
Jobst Brandt says it makes no difference: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/cycling-myths.html

Subject: Cycling Myths
Following are various myths about cycling and why they are/aren't true.

Myth: Wearing a helmet makes your head hotter than if you didn't wear one.

Actual measurements under hard riding conditions with ANSI standard helmets show no consistent temperature difference from helmetless riders...

But temperature isn't the be all & end all of it. There is also evaporation to consider, with a helmet on you have less surface area to evaporate the sweat from the skull thus making it feel hotter when in actual fact it's the same temperature. This can be seen when I wear a helmet over my bandannas, they're soaking with sweat all over when I wear a helmet but they're only wet along a narrow band from forehead & through the material that's become 'roaped' to the knot at the the back.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
+1 to the buff.
My Daughter insists I look like a camp, lycra pirate, but at least I'm a camp lycra clad pirate with a cool head.

Top Bottom