Swede

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pete

I mean the edible sort, not the misbegotten ex-England-football-manager sort... :biggrin:

Not everyone's cup of tea I suppose, for me too it's memories of stodgy school dinners, a sodden yellowing over-salted mush looking like cat-sick on the plate... xx(:biggrin::biggrin:

Enough of that. More recently we have now and again made a curry with swedes and red kidney beans, quite palatable: and now this week we got two swedes in our organic-veggie box (Riverford). So what to do with them?

Yesterday we found the answer to put paid to one swede, at least. Veggie couscous with carrot, swede and chickpeas worked out remarkably well. Recipe to follow if anyone's interested (and similarly encumbered).

So what to do with the other? Two swedes in one week is - quite a lot of swede. We're now speculating with bated breath as to what this week's box will contain...

longers

Legendary Member
I'm not encumbered but would be interested in the recipe please.

domtyler

Über Member
I like mashed potato and swede mixed in together. Also a vital ingredient in a nice hearty stew. There, that wasn't too hard was it? :biggrin:

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Yes, goes well with spuds. Also boiled till just the wrong side of "al dente" (al gummy?), mashed up with butter, black pepper on top.

OP
OP
P

Pete

longers said:
I'm not encumbered but would be interested in the recipe please.
OK. This is to serve 4, quite generous helpings. You can easily improvise on the ingredients.

6oz dry chick peas, soaked overnight and boiled (1 hour) until tender (or 14-oz tin drained)
1 lb swede.
3 carrots.
1/2 - 1 lb broccoli or cauliflower
1 large onion
1 clove garlic
3 tomatoes.
1 red or green chilli.
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
salt and pepper.
Oil for frying.

12 oz couscous.
700 ml (24 fl oz) water.
1 tsp vegetable stock (optional).

For the harissa:
4-5 chopped red or green chillis, or to taste!
1 small onion, chopped.
1-2 tbsp tomato puree
handful fresh coriander, chopped.
oil for frying.

Chop onion, crush garlic, heat oil in a large saucepan and fry until tender: add turmeric and one chopped chilli, fry a few seconds longer.

Peel the swede and cut into cubes, clean and slice carrots, divide broccoli/cauliflower into chunks, chop tomatoes. Add these to saucepan and add enough water to cover, add cooked chickpeas and paprika, cumin, and (optional) chilli powder, season with salt and pepper (do not over-salt). Bring to boil and simmer until the vegetables are tender (about 1/2 hour).

Meanwhile make a hot harissa sauce to serve separately (for those who want it!). Chop up the small onion and as many chillis as you dare, fry in a little oil in a small saucepan, add tomato puree and coriander and spoon in some of the liquid from the main couscous dish, to make a thick sauce. Allow to simmer alongside the main dish.

To prepare the couscous, heat up the water to boiling point, dissolve the stock powder if used and pour over the couscous in a bowl, stir briefly and then leave until the couscous has absorbed all the liquid (about 5 minutes). Serve.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Pete said:
I mean the edible sort, not the misbegotten ex-England-football-manager sort... :biggrin:

Not everyone's cup of tea I suppose, for me too it's memories of stodgy school dinners, a sodden yellowing over-salted mush looking like cat-sick on the plate... xx(:biggrin::biggrin:

Enough of that. More recently we have now and again made a curry with swedes and red kidney beans, quite palatable: and now this week we got two swedes in our organic-veggie box (Riverford). So what to do with them?

Yesterday we found the answer to put paid to one swede, at least. Veggie couscous with carrot, swede and chickpeas worked out remarkably well. Recipe to follow if anyone's interested (and similarly encumbered).

So what to do with the other? Two swedes in one week is - quite a lot of swede. We're now speculating with bated breath as to what this week's box will contain...

Bin 'em.
Tesco's is open 24 hours a day,get down there and buy yourself a chuffin' ready meal, sling it in the microwave and stop this hair-shirted whining...

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
:biggrin:

Cab

Marvellous in Scotch Broth. Got to have it in there.

Also good roasted, alongside parsnips and spuds.

Try boiling swede, celeriac and potato together, mashing them with butter, pepper and a grating of nutmeg... Most pleasant.

OP
OP
P

Pete

Fab Foodie said:
Bin 'em.
Tesco's is open 24 hours a day,get down there and buy yourself a chuffin' ready meal, sling it in the microwave and stop this hair-shirted whining...
Thanks, Fab Foodie, often wondered at the significance of your forum name, now I know! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

OP
OP
P

Pete

SamNichols said:
Haha, it's the Riverford winter - expect lots of root vegetables until about March.
As it happens they're working hard to dispel that myth! Plenty of greens in last week's box at any rate (even if some if it is radicchio, which is a tough cookie to deal with).

We considered long and hard (for over a year) at the offerings of Riverford, Abel & Cole, and some of the other smaller players in the field, before finally plumping for Riverford a few weeks ago. It's been quite an interesting experience since then, but we shall keep at it...

Tetedelacourse

Catch yourself a haggis, cook and mash the swede, cook and mash some tatties and hoots mon, a feast fit for a Chieftain (o the puddin race)!

Add brown sauce for that je ne sais crois.

Swede curry, christ on a bike it must be cold in your house having to have all the windows open all night!

Top Bottom