Swimming is much harder than cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Reiki_chick

I adore swimming - it's definitely my most natural sport. Used to train and compete, as a child. Now it's just for the bliss of stretching out and gliding through the water. I can understand how some people find pool swimming boring but, like others have said, you can focus on different aspects of the technique and enjoy seeing progress; like reaching further on the pull and using less strokes to complete a length, or playing with how little leg use you can manage to get by with. Mostly I find it hugely meditative - unless I'm getting wound up by annoying lane abusers. Recently been working on butterfly - building my way up to 100m. Now, that's exhausting CV activity!:blush:

the_mikey

Legendary Member
I'm a regular swimmer, I often swim lengths of the pool either crawling or kicking only with hands together and in front, sometimes I'm as fast as the crawlers in the fast lane when I'm only kicking in the medium lane. I used to swim 60 lengths of the 25m pool, regularly, but since the local pool changed their lane swim times to 9pm I find I just can't be bothered at that time of night, and only swim 30 lengths, then go home to bed.

montage

God Almighty
Regarding the cramp, I haven't got much of an issue apart from when doing breast stroke...then my little toe on my right foot seems to cross over with the toe next to it and cramp up.

U

User482

I swam with bottlenose dolphins earlier this year. Now that was far more fun than lengths in the local pool.

DaveyB1981

Not being a particularly "natural" sportsman, swimming is the one sport that I have ever seriously competed in and is definately my most natural sport. I could swim way before I could cycle and as mentioned, see it as a really important life skill too.

All this said, I didnt go swimming for quite some time and I've recently started going again. It can at times be frustrating to go back to something you know you used to be good at, especially a sport that relies so heavily on technique. With perseverance, I am feeling improvements, but still can't seem to get my breathing right. Yet. I tend to swim most of the time without bothering to breathe and then being knackered and gasping for breath at the end of the length.

Friday nights are pretty good at my local pool, so i'm actually off there tomorrow. I couldnt agree more about the lane sharing thing. I am lucky to have also found a local school that allows adult sessions a couple of evenings a week. It's sure an attractive alternative to outdoor actvities on these cold, cold nights.

Dave

ventoux50

I find it hugely meditative - unless I'm getting wound up by annoying lane abusers.

RC I know where you're coming from - I love it when theres not so many in the pool and I can get into a rhythm churning out front crawl whilst concentrating on form and getting in 'the zone'

It really is annoying though when some wanna be puts him (or her) self in a lane which is obviously too fast for them, invariably they disrupt the 'flow' of the swimmers in that lane. :angry:

It seems that the men who do this are so 'macho' that they won't accespt they should be in a slower lane, and the women just seem to carry on regardless as if they don't realise the consternation they're causing.

Whats even worse is the pillock who enters the lane, messes with his goggles for five minutes, then sets off on a single scorching length (which isn't really that fast) and on the return has a recovery breaststroke length - causing more bunching up/annoyance . . . . . . AAAAARRRGGHH IT MAKES ME SOO ANGRY ! (in the manner of Victor Meldrew)

Still, it's very satisfying to see them run out of steam and 'lap' them repeatedly !

Our pool has clearly defined lanes and a spotty yoof on duty to advise/supervise/ensure correct lane discipline, but unfortunately is always far too busy perfecting the high chair 'slouch' to actually do anything constructive.

peanuts = monkeys I suppose.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
hats even worse is the pillock who enters the lane, messes with his goggles for five minutes, then sets off on a single scorching length (which isn't really that fast) and on the return has a recovery breaststroke length - causing more bunching up/annoyance . . . . . . AAAAARRRGGHH IT MAKES ME SOO ANGRY ! (in the manner of Victor Meldrew)

Yes, people who do breast stroke in the fast lane and those who alternate between strokes are a major irritation, as are those who spend more of their time not swimming than swimming.

taxing

I can't bring myself to swim at my local pool after seeing some kid poo in it.

They probably poo and wee in other pools but I haven't seen them do it.

I had an awful poo incident in a swimming pool once. The lifeguard called me over to the edge, then told me to turn around and look at what I had just nearly eaten. Yep, a turd. Not mine, I'd like to note.

Zoof

I love swimming - got back into it properly last year after watching Robson Green on the tv doing his wild swimming stuff, then I saw a programme on the British Gas open water swim series - on the strength of that I entered the Windermere mile - was going to the pool 3 / 4 times a week swimming over a mile each time, bought a wetsuit, got all excited - then the piggin swim was cancelled due to blue green algae ! :angry:

Was not a happy camper.

But I have to say, I definitely noticed a carry over effect from swimming fitness to cycling fitness, my upper body strength improved, core stability improved - which made climbing much more efficient.

And my cardiovascular fitness improved a fair amount . . . I put this down to the way in which you're obliged to take deeper breaths, and hold them for longer - therefore increasing the lung volume . . . which definitely has a long term beneficial effect noticeable on the bike.

I would say to anyone who rides a bike (especially at this time of year) - get in the pool and cross train, it's not easy at first, after a few consecutive lengths you might be knackered, but keep at it, the improvements soon become apparent.

Definitely great exercise !

Hate running though so could never contemplate a triathlon.

Good post can't be added to.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Swimming and cycling are (imo) both as technically challenging as one another. I think fast cycling is less of a cardio workout as fast swimming purley because of the breathing element.

Swimming is far less impact, no blisters, aches, pains, chaffing or other vehicles to worry about.

plus swimming is very refreshing in a non sweaty kind of way that cycling isn’t (you still need a shower after both but you don’t get ground in dirt and grease all over you in the swimming pool...hopefully)

I'm training for a triathlon(super sprint) next year and swimming/riding are my strengths...now running, that’s another story

Swimming and cycling are (imo) both as technically challenging as one another. I think fast cycling is less of a cardio workout as fast swimming purley because of the breathing element.

Swimming is far less impact, no blisters, aches, pains, chaffing or other vehicles to worry about.

plus swimming is very refreshing in a non sweaty kind of way that cycling isn’t (you still need a shower after both but you don’t get ground in dirt and grease all over you in the swimming pool...hopefully)

I'm training for a triathlon(super sprint) next year and swimming/riding are my strengths...now running, that’s another story

After 1250m this morning my body is very much disagreeing with that bit. No vehicles but other swimmers to avoid.
I've thought about a triathlon, briefly, would depend on someone else doing the running bit though.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
After 1250m this morning my body is very much disagreeing with that bit. No vehicles but other swimmers to avoid.
I've thought about a triathlon, briefly, would depend on someone else doing the running bit though.

Noooo, you've got to do it all yourself, otherwise how can you improve your own PB...next time

Top Bottom