Swine flu

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Looks like I have it. :-(

Still trying to cycle a little bit, although obviously avoid people.

Is this a big no no? Don't want to get pneumonia.

So far it's sort of ok. Mainly nose, throat, general sick feeling. Not much sweating as yet but quite bunged up and fluey. Definitely not a bad cold, haven't had this sort of thing for years.

No muscle aches yet, and as yet no dizzyness although I feel fatigued. Had a terrible nights sleep tonight too.

What scares me is I got this just after I'd been on a massive bike ride, having been up for 24 hours and also got drunk.

Very silly thing to do but I guess it weakened my immune system.

ASC1951

Guru
Riverman said:
Still trying to cycle a little bit, although obviously avoid people.
That's certainly sensible - you don't want a bent front wheel as well as flu.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
if you had swine flu, you would not be able to ride (bin there done that, it's at least a week in bed unable to get out of bed). sounds like manflu..lol

OP
OP
Riverman

Riverman

Guru
No trust me, this is flu. I know it well. I've had the whole manflu thing, that's nothing compared to this.

I'll admit the worst flu I had, I was barely able to get up the stairs, however the feeling is exactly the same as this. just less muscle ache.

Started on Wednesday night and Thursday morning and has just been getting progressively worse.

OP
OP
Riverman

Riverman

Guru
Yeah, that's normally the route through which people die. THe unusual thing with swine flu is that more young people die this way than with seasonal flu. With regular flu, I think deaths normally occur among the elderly so even though swine flu has been relatively mild here, it's still best to be on your guard.

Mycroft

I've had swine flu, you wouldn't be leaving the bed never mind the house if you had it.

I've also had pneumonia and even double pneumonia, thats so much fun you likely wouldnt want that either, believe me.

but if you want to weaken yourself and run the risk of missing out on even more cycling then go right ahead, just remember ignoring your body with bravado won't help in the long run.

have you had the "swine flu" confirmed?

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Mycroft said:
I've had swine flu, you wouldn't be leaving the bed never mind the house if you had it.

I've also had pneumonia and even double pneumonia, thats so much fun you likely wouldnt want that either, believe me.

but if you want to weaken yourself and run the risk of missing out on even more cycling then go right ahead, just remember ignoring your body with bravado won't help in the long run.

have you had the "swine flu" confirmed?

do they do this now? just a phone call for me and wife picked up the drugs

OP
OP
Riverman

Riverman

Guru
I do not feel well at all. I cycled yesterday abit, today Ill leave it out.

It's basically like having flu but the muscle ache and dizzyness doesn't seem as acute for the moment.

As for having it confirmed as swine flu, I think they only did that to begin with. My local GP service doesn't even have information it anymore, they just refer you to NHS direct.

Wasn't thinking of doing a TT, :biggrin: just a short stint down the road to get some fresh air.

Yesterday I'd have been up for it. Today less, that may be to do with having had very little sleep though.

OP
OP
Riverman

Riverman

Guru
This thing sucks. In simple terms, it's just loads of different symptoms. My eyes are hurting now, obviously my sinuses are now blocked up.

The symptoms seem to be concentrated on my lungs but my body is starting to get quite stiff. I feel almost like I'm just waiting for it to pass.

Lemsip isn't much good to quell the symptoms, does anyone know of anything better?

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
My Wife had it and it absolutely floored here about three days until she had a course of tamiflu, I had some of the symptoms but wasn't as bad, I think some people get it worse than others. Not sure if the doctors are still running the phone diagnosis service, might be worth calling NHS direct.
Hope you feel better soon.

Mycroft

fresh air is a good idea, but can you get it out the front/back door? :sad:

there appear to be some nasty doses doing the rounds at the mo. but people seem to call them swine flu like its a generic term. you'll be in your bed crying and wondering what the hell your body is up to with swine flu, if you manage to do a lot of thinking.

get some rest in, recover quicker and fully, then burn the road up :tongue: get well soon.

tamiflu needs to be taken PDQ according to the leaflet (within 24hrs if I remember) other wise it isn't worth tuppence (again according to the leaflet - sorry "as effective") I didn't see what good it did, but if it only helped as a placebo then well it was some use :hugs: I'd have took anything it was such a rough flu

My "nurse" stayed as far away as possible, but spent a fair amount of time in the same room.. never got a bit of it! (LOTS of handwashing)

OP
OP
Riverman

Riverman

Guru
Mycroft said:
fresh air is a good idea, but can you get it out the front/back door? :biggrin:

there appear to be some nasty doses doing the rounds at the mo. but people seem to call them swine flu like its a generic term. you'll be in your bed crying and wondering what the hell your body is up to with swine flu, if you manage to do a lot of thinking.

It's certainly beginning to feel abit like that. Drinking lemsip is making me feel sick and I've given up on the idea of going outside.

Big changes, are my headache has got a lot worse, and I'm getting more aches and pains.

I'm just about to take something to try and get rid of the nausea.

Top Bottom