Switching disc wheels - is it simple?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Outlaw Hobbs

Just for the sake of clarity this is a question about wheels with disc brakes not the sort of wheels testers use on the rear.
For winter entertainment I'm building a disc braked new bike and I'd like it to have two sets of wheels; a very light set for hill-climbs and a deep rim set for reliability rides, sportives and the occasional 'road bikes only' time trial.
The brakes are hydraulic Ultegra disc. It is likely the hubs on the wheelsets will not be the same but I can fit both with the same disc.
My question is - will switching from one wheelset to the other be simply a matter of taking one wheel out and putting in the other; or will it be necessary to re-align the caliper every time?

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
No problem, the dimensions are standardised.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I'm running hydraulic Ulterga on one bike too & bought a spare wheelset in Black Friday sales, front rubbed slightly, but rear was stuck solid on a pad. Quick look on youtube & say that adjusting calipers is a simple enough job. You may be lucky & just be able to switch wheels, but if you have to adjust calipers, its only a few seconds job :okay:

D

Deleted member 23692

Speaking as someone who's actually done this with differing makes of hub, there is a chance that you may need to realign the calipers. Once I changed to both sets having the same make and model of hub (and discs), then it's was a straight swap with no adjustment.

It's simply down to compounded manufacturing dimensioning and tolerances between the makes, and it can only take a few thou for the rubbing to manifest.

OP
OP
Outlaw Hobbs

Outlaw Hobbs

Thanks all. Pretty much the answers I was expecting. I'm used to fettling discs and calipers but only on my MTB and have found as said the tolerances are very small. Definitely a case then for having the same hubs on both wheelsets but might not be so easy to find.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
There is always a case for the same hub, especially rear as the gear indexing can be ever so slightly out. Switching between a Dura Ace hub and a Hope hub needed a couple of clicks on the barrel adjuster. Dead simple when you worked out the difference.

I have 3 set of wheels for my CX bike, 2 on the same type of hub 6 bolt discs, these dont need the calipers re-aligning, the other centre lock disc hub does. I find it a inconvenience and now need to change caliper bolts as specialized used torque bolts instead of hex which are rounding off inside due to the number of times I have had to fettle them.

Nigelnightmare

Über Member
I've got 2 identical make & model rear wheels with disc brake rotors.
I had to realign the caliper when I changed wheels.
That's due to manufacturing/assembling differences.
Both have sealed cartridge bearings.

Even though this was quick and easy I have now shimmed one of the disc rotors by 1.25mm to make them the same.
(You can get shims in different thicknesses.)

I also had to realign the caliper on another bike after replacing the sealed cartridge bearings.
HTH

Top Bottom